jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What is your idea of the American dream?

1. rickzimmerman profile image81
    rickzimmermanposted 5 years ago

What is your idea of the American dream?

Life, liberty, pursuit of happiness? Consumerism? Absolute freedom? Little or no government? Home, hearth, bread & family? Are you living it? What is stopping you from achieving it?

2. Cammiebar profile image77
    Cammiebarposted 5 years ago

My American Dream is to work hard for the rest of my life, live fairly comfortably, and then support my parents in their old age so they don't have to go to a retirement home for as long as possible.  It's really simple and going to be a lot of hard work, but it's achievable.

3. lburmaster profile image82
    lburmasterposted 5 years ago

American's desire to make ton's of money, they push for their goals, but some of them lose interest or desire and simply fade away. I believe that is the majority of America. We are consumers, happiness dreamers, and take what we want without discipline.

4. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

For me, the American Dream is a secure job, and health insurance or medical care for myself and family.  Those things are enough to make me happy.  Worrying about the future, who will pay for med. insurance, how will I get care if I have no insurance, will I be able to make my house payment. 

Those worries cut right into enjoying what I do have.  I don't believe there will ever be absolute freedom because what is free for one person can be oppressive to another.  There will always need to be some form of government and some form of regulation because as human beings without it, we'd screw it up in heartbeat.

working