jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Should students memorize multiplication facts or learn strategies to figure them

1. YvetteParker profile image76
    YvetteParkerposted 6 years ago

Should students memorize multiplication facts or learn strategies to figure them out?

2. kschimmel profile image48
    kschimmelposted 6 years ago

It is a huge advantage to have the basic facts memorized for instant recall--this is a great timesaver.  Why have to reinvent the wheel every time you see a multiplication problem?  Grammar school kids are made to take in facts and memorize them.  Their abstract reasoning skills don't kick into high gear until they near adolescence.

3. profile image0
    paxwillposted 6 years ago

I think you need to know both.  It would be a waste of time memorizing huge products like 234767 times 789932 when you can use a general method instead.  But of course, in order to apply the method you need to know basic smaller products, like 7x2, 7x3, etc.

Lots of mathematical problem solving strategies work like that--a general method based on fundamentals that just need to be memorized.

4. YvetteParker profile image76
    YvetteParkerposted 6 years ago

I'm old school when it comes to multiplication facts and wish that every child would memorize them. Math becomes so much easier for elementary students when they do. I love your answers, paxwill and kschimmel. I wished more people agreed so that more children would learn their facts. Thanks for sharing your views on this question.

working