jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

When you see cars, or other wheeled vehicles

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image96
    DzyMsLizzyposted 6 years ago

When you see cars, or other wheeled vehicles

such as stagecoaches, in a movie or video, why does it always look as if the wheels are turning backwards when they are in motion at speed, and viewed from the side?

2. wheelinallover profile image78
    wheelinalloverposted 6 years ago

It depends on the speed the wheel is moving. If they are moving very slowly we see them spinning in the correct direction. It is as they speed up beyond where they can be handled by the 24 frames per second film and video use that they appear to be spinning the wrong direction. This is also true of prize wheels or anything which reaches a speed not properly handed by the per second framing used.

3. DzyMsLizzy profile image96
    DzyMsLizzyposted 6 years ago

Thank you, wheelinallover--but then, I wonder, why they would not just be a blur of motion, instead of looking as if they are rotating backwards? 
    One of life's minor mysteries, I guess.  Thanks again for your explanation.

4. arksys profile image92
    arksysposted 6 years ago

it would not blur because you are watching a movie that is made at 24frames per second ... I think it would blur if the frames per second at which they were showing the video would increase.

It's a bit like a stroboscope effect ... if you change the frequency of light hitting the wheel then you can see it either in stationary mode or even in reverse... the brain captures the images but there is a mis-match in timing between the images caught by the eye and the image processing in the brain. something on those lines...

Closed to reply