jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What are the steps to become a veterinarian?

1. ktrapp profile image98
    ktrappposted 5 years ago

What are the steps to become a veterinarian?

I just brought the dog to the vet and was impressed with the vet's "bedside manner." What type of education does a vet need; what should someone major in undergraduate who is considering becoming a vet?

2. davenmidtown profile image88
    davenmidtownposted 5 years ago

step one: stop eating meat.
    Step Two: repeat step one.

Really, I think it is about reaching for something higher... health, consciousness, awareness, etc. It involves making a commitment to yourself and your reasons for changing your lifestyle. It also involves learning how to eat responsibly by learning about foods and how to combine foods to make proteins, etc.

3. ktrapp profile image98
    ktrappposted 5 years ago

davenmidtown - So I probably shouldn't "answer" my own question but I have to thank you for making me laugh out loud.

I think you may be staring at your computer screen too much these days. I asked about "veterinarians" not "vegetarians" HaHa.I certainly don't want to eat my dog!

4. LABrashear profile image60
    LABrashearposted 5 years ago

Dave's answer was pretty funny. 

It's a lot of work.  For undergrad, you would pobably want something in the area of biology or zoology.  I was pre-vet for awhile and studied Animal Sciences.  You want to make sure you have a degree that's going to cover the core classes you need.  You can apply to vet school any time, but most recommend after getting your four year degree.  They also recommend a ton of extracurricular activities.  There are a lot of applicants to veterinary school, so you want to make yourself stand out (in a good way) from the crowd as much as possible.

Are you thinking of going for it?  If so, good luck! smile

5. profile image0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 5 years ago

You have to have the smarts!  I think the hardest thing besides getting the education and paying for it is deciding if you want to work with small animals, large animals or exotics.  I've worked around horses, and it killed me to hold a horse's head up while the vet worked on its teeth.  A horseman once told me that you have to decide what patients you want to treat.  He said you have to be honest about what you can handle.  Also, you will run into people who will not be happy with whatever you do because they already treat their animals like spoiled brats.  I love animals, but it's not enough.  Since I am really poor with mathmatics and science, that ends it for me.  If I gave an injection, I would eyeball the goop and say, "That looks good enough."  Which is why I wouldn't bother entering the medical field like most of my family.  I would truly kill someone with my injections!

working