jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Do you think that 'No Child Left Behind' is improving education?

1. Eliminate Cancer profile image60
    Eliminate Cancerposted 6 years ago

Do you think that 'No Child Left Behind' is improving education?

2. lburmaster profile image82
    lburmasterposted 6 years ago

Not really. It has been lowering the standards so everyone won't be left behind. It's irritating and kind of amusing from a home-school standard.

3. William Gerace profile image69
    William Geraceposted 6 years ago

No Child Left Behind is the most ridiculous law that we have among others of course. As a former paraprofessional I can tell you that the law personally sucks. From the stringent curriculum it has in place that not only leaves children behind but forces educators to pass on children whether they have a grasp of the material or not. The whole concept reminds me of utilizing children as if they are mere factory workers or computers who have to have a bunch of material shoved down their throats whether they understand it or not. Case in point my last year in the Philadelphia School District I worked in a second grade classroom to say the least was quite stressful not only due to the inept teacher I was working with but the pace we had to keep up in order to be compliant with District standards. I had children who really needed special education services who couldn't grasp the material but due to the fast pacing of the so called curriculum many children were left behind. Each day we had to be up to a certain page in the material and if not well it didn't look good on us. My question is what about children who don't learn at this pace. Every child is unique you know. These agendas don't address that and to say the least its almost as if its setup to have children fail. These are just my opinions but I'm sure some won't agree with me but it truly is the worst educational policy we have out there.

4. justateacher profile image83
    justateacherposted 6 years ago

I think NCLB has done way more harm than good...it causes districts to teach to a test that is unreasonable for some students.