A law requiring viewing fetus ultrasound before abortion is on appeal in ok. Yo

1. brakel2 profile image80
    brakel2posted 5 years ago

A law requiring viewing  fetus ultrasound before abortion is on appeal in ok. Your opinion of law?

2. rafken profile image81
    rafkenposted 5 years ago

I don't think this will make much difference. People, I hope, give a lot of thought before deciding on an abortion and so having made the decision they will probably stick with it.

3. JGoul profile image60
    JGoulposted 5 years ago

Courts and intelligent commentators on both sides acknowledge that there are two interests, both of which have value, at play in abortion law:  the moral peril of destroying something that is, at the very least, in the process of turning into a human life, and a woman's right to control her own body.

Requiring women to view an ultrasound is a comparatively small imposition. Granted, it leads to minor delays and could cause her to have an increased sense of the weight of her choice. But this is not a decision that should be taken lightly or made quickly. If the law is administered in a manner that respects the woman's ultimate right to choose abortion, it's acceptable.

Incidentally, I believe similar laws have been upheld in other states, so this probably doesn't violate federal law unless it works differently. It may, of course, violate state constitutional law.