jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Can teleportation and time travel be used as an efficient means of transportatio

1. anam hasib profile image61
    anam hasibposted 5 years ago

Can teleportation and time travel be used as an efficient means of transportation?

2. scottcgruber profile image80
    scottcgruberposted 5 years ago

Can they? Not at the moment - they are in the realm of science fiction.

Could they be an efficient form of transportation? That's another story. I'm going to say no.

Assuming that the cost of teleportation could be kept around the price of airfare or lower, it would put the airline, railroad, and shipping industries out of business. If it were competitive with local transportation options, it would kill commuter railand the taxicab companies. It might not end up being that efficient, though - long lines at airport security and packed subway trains would be replaced by long lines at teleport stations.

Time travel would be even more of a hassle. If you think the current economic recession is bad, just imagine what would happen if hedge fund managers suddenly had the ability to jump into the future to see how stocks and commodities were going to perform - or could jump into the past to try and correct an earlier bad investment? Lotteries and gambling would become meaningless, sportscasters and weather forecasters could just pre-tape their segments for the year, insurance companies would refuse to cover patients and drivers based on their future accidents and illnesses. People arguing on the Internet would no longer merely be editing Wikipedia to prove their points, but jumping back to change history. Not to mention all the universe-destroying paradoxes.

No thanks - gimme old-fashioned locomotion and chronology any day.

1. anam hasib profile image61
      anam hasibposted 5 years agoin reply to this

i agree but isn't teleporting enough to overcome every transport.I mean why do we need anything else when we have got this.Plus there wont be any pollution.Government can focus on 1 means of transport which could eventually prove more economical.

3. neildabb profile image75
    neildabbposted 5 years ago

If you can figure out the technology, then yes, they would be, but with the same risks of most any conventional transportation.  No technology is going to be absolutely safe and in this case accidents could be even more devastating.

As a science fiction writer I regularly use those kinds of transportation in my stories.