jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Are you an outlier?

1. tirelesstraveler profile image80
    tirelesstravelerposted 5 years ago

Are you an outlier?

I am one are you?

2. nisargmehta profile image80
    nisargmehtaposted 5 years ago

Amusing question!!! well i count myself as one. hwever it depend on the situations and criteria again...

3. Laura Schneider profile image91
    Laura Schneiderposted 5 years ago

An outlier... Hmmm... Yes, definitely, and how can I count the ways? I don't TRY to be an outlier, it just happens that I am one. I trained to be a classical pianist as a child, went to college to become an engineer and left with a degree in physics and a minor in English writing. My first job was as a knowledge engineer, putting the brains into an "artificially intelligent" computer system--which involved lexicography, semantic structuring,  and complex boolean search expressions. My parents, growing up, encouraged my sister and me to not be afraid of being "different" or taking on unusual hobbies, like the summer we learned to walk a tightwire, and they both had interesting educations and jobs as "outliers", too. My sister is much less of an outlier in some ways and moreso in others. Within our own immediate family we're each outliers, too. I guess it's in the genes.

4. msorensson profile image72
    msorenssonposted 5 years ago

I don't know the answer to this question..my best guess is probably not..

5. StephanieBCrosby profile image85
    StephanieBCrosbyposted 5 years ago

Absolutely. I guess I have always marched to the beat of my own drum.

This drove my mom crazy as she swore I would end up taking all my degrees and strapping my flute to my back while hiking in the mountains or something. Then she feared I would never be girly enough and tried everything to keep me from "being a lesbian." Where she got this notion from, I do not know: just another one of her conspiracy theories I guess.

In graduate school I was always told to stop "mixing apples and oranges" even though my peers understood that my explanations were comparable and often better than what the professor was stating.

Well this is enough to give you an idea. But I sure have plenty to fill a book, an autobiography that many are waiting for but will never see.

working