jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What are the big five factors of personality?

1. ngureco profile image84
    ngurecoposted 5 years ago

What are the big five factors of personality?

2. WD Curry 111 profile image61
    WD Curry 111posted 5 years ago

Now, this is interesting. How did you come to the conclusion that there are five factors of personality?

I will tell you. Someone who is a recognized authority on the subject wrote a thesis for their degree. They refined, published and released it as a text book, or an expert analysis in the psychology section of the mega book store. Maybe they released bits and pieces as articles in 'Psychology Today'.

Five factors of personality? Here is the deal. That is like asking, "What are the five factors that affect a sailboat boat in the middle of the ocean?"

You could say wind, current, hull speed, supplies, and weather or you can keep thinking of more, or even subdividing within the factors. There are countless divisions and aspects to personality. It is an organic entity that we are measuring with geometry. The lines and angles are approximations that cannot define the parameters or the center.

We will never understand even a fraction of it, yet we have branches of science and medicine that act as if they do, "Here take one of these twice a day, and then one of these to help you sleep."

3. jdrury profile image64
    jdruryposted 5 years ago

Personally I prefer the Meyers-Briggs approach to personality but the Big Five are also meant to be dimensional.  First there is extraversion which refers to things such as excitability, sociability, talkativeness and assertiveness etc.  Second is Agreeableness which refers to trust, kindness and other prosocial behaviours.  Third is Conscientiousness which refers to impulse-control, goal-directed behaviours, thoughtfulness, etc.  Fourth is Neuroticism which refers to anxiety, irratibility and emotional instability etc.  Fifth is Openess which refers to imagination, insight, range of interests etc.  That's about all I know given that it isn't the personality theory I prefer but hope it helps!

4. lburmaster profile image83
    lburmasterposted 5 years ago

The Big Five are the key main traits in creating personality. If you are really interested, I believe I created a hub about it. Openness, Conscientiousness, Extraversion, Agreeableness, and Neurotic. Within these five, there are other sub-groups. For example, in Openness there is imagination, artistic interests, emotionality, adventerousness, intellect, and psychological liberalism.