jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)

Are There Really Spiders Big Enough To Eat Birds?

1. Mr Tindle profile image82
    Mr Tindleposted 5 years ago

Are There Really Spiders Big Enough To Eat Birds?

I have heard of "Bird Eating Tarantulas", but is there such a thing or is it just an over-exaggerated urban legend?

2. Dallas Matier profile image84
    Dallas Matierposted 5 years ago

They can (the name had to come from somewhere, afterall). But, it's supposed to actually be very rare... and, really only young birds, or maybe small ones (like babies in the nest, I suppose)

3. junkseller profile image84
    junksellerposted 5 years ago

Some of the largest tarantulas can have a leg span approaching 12 inches. That's pretty huge! So yes, they could very easily eat a small bird. More typical meals, though, would be insects, rodents, lizards, snakes, etc. Birds are pretty tough to catch on the ground. Maybe if one were injured or sick (or careless).

1. ShootersCenter profile image72
      ShootersCenterposted 5 years agoin reply to this

When hunting I've seen foxes, coyotes, bobcats, other birds and snakes all catch birds from the ground, it's not as hard as one would think.

2. junkseller profile image84
      junksellerposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Good point. I was just thinking with their poor vision and reliance upon sensation, that birds would be tough, but that may be entirely wrong. I'd love to see them in action.

4. sallieannluvslife profile image85
    sallieannluvslifeposted 5 years ago

Holy Cow!  I hope NOT!!!  The tiny ones are bad enough!!

5. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

There are and they are native to South America - and I am very glad we do not have them here

working