How to make a highschooler to do more maths problems?

1. thumbi7 profile image62
    thumbi7posted 5 years ago

How to make a highschooler to do more maths problems?

2. Larry Fields profile image77
    Larry Fieldsposted 5 years ago

Hi thumbi7. There are many reasons why a highschooler would not be motivated to do more maths problems. One of these reasons is boredom with the curriculum. If so, you may consider purchasing any of the recreational mathematics books by the late Martin Gardner, who had a column in Scientific American for many years.

Ironically, Gardner was highly regarded in the old Soviet Union. His work was helpful in promoting nonstandard thinking in maths and physics, in this otherwise totalitarian country.

3. dezalyx profile image96
    dezalyxposted 5 years ago

In high school, whenever I study for an exam, I do not like to do math problems. I just study the concept, do a few examples, and go take the test.

But in college, what really motivated me to do more math problems was the fact that some of the questions in the exam can actually come out of those sample problems. Doing the problems in advance actually saves you precious time because you have already done the same problem before.

In order to motivate a high school student, you can offer incentives if they do all the problems correctly. If they find the curriculum boring, try to make it more interesting by applying the same problem in an everyday situation. Not only will it spark their interest, it will also help them remember the concept for exams.

working