jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

What is the minimal initial velocity of the ball if it lends exactly in the righ

1. flysky profile image83
    flyskyposted 5 years ago

What is the minimal initial velocity of the ball if it lends exactly in the right corner?

Find the second and third values (after the minimal one) of velocity too. The ball is kicked horizontally, near to the Earth's surface.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/7632457_f260.jpg

2. Marcus99 profile image59
    Marcus99posted 5 years ago

Seriously. Have you enhanced the original Lysergic Acid Diethylamide formula?

3. flysky profile image83
    flyskyposted 5 years ago

Hint: The ball is free falling independently on its motion to the left. Thus, knowing the height h (together with gravitational acceleration g) is enough to calculate the time ball needs to reach the corner. Than we can use the same fact to calculate initial velocity...

4. Ben Evans profile image72
    Ben Evansposted 5 years ago

I haven't been back in awhile and I saw this was not solved so I decided to solve it.   It really looks a lot harder than it is.

x-x0=1/2at^2 (there is no initial velocity in the y direction)

-1 meter=1/2(-9.8)(m/s^2)t^2
    1 meter=1/2(9.8)(m/s^2)t^2

t^2=1/4.9 s^2

tsad1/4.9)^1/2 s=0.45 s

The horizontal distance traveled is 2(.5m)=1 m

So the initial velocity is 1m/0.45 s=2.21 m/s

1. flysky profile image83
      flyskyposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Well done! When we understand the principle of independence of motion, this is an easy task indeed. Thus, this is the minimal velocity. The second minimal velocity we obtain when the ball once hit the right wall and twice the left one...

working