jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

How did you decide to persue Higher Education and who influenced you?

1. Diane Woodson profile image61
    Diane Woodsonposted 4 years ago

How did you decide to persue Higher Education and who influenced you?

How did you decide your Major area of Study? What were you hoping to see on the horizon of success?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/6585855_f260.jpg

2. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 4 years ago

I did have a career goal in mind and a college degree was going to help. However, I graduated from high school in 1969. Men were faced with two choices, go to college or go to Vietnam. I chose college. When the lottery came along a year later I was number 256 and they stopped the draft around 106. Therefore, there was no option to travel the roads, go to Europe (could not have afforded it, even if I wanted to go then.) So for me deciding had two points, go as soon as possible and skip the "I am going to take a year off," phase or possibly go to Vietnam. If drafted, I would had gone. I never would have avoided the draft illegally or run to Canada, but I did not want to go. With my eyesight and sense of direction, the last place you want me is in a jungle with a loaded gun.

3. lburmaster profile image83
    lburmasterposted 4 years ago

It was expected. My parents always said I would get a bachelors degree and that it was my choice of which degree. First, I wanted to be an English major because books and writing were all I cared about in high school. Then I actually took English courses at the community college and couldn't stand the teachers. But my psychology teacher, Buckman, influenced me the most. After one course, I was addicted. However, it was my own choice to attempt a master's degree. I will never regret that decision.

4. ChitrangadaSharan profile image57
    ChitrangadaSharanposted 4 years ago

I did Master of Arts, in Political Science and Bachelor of Education, in English. My father influenced me, since he was an Economist and a Professor at St. Xavier's College. Now he has retired, but he has authored many books in Economics and related subjects.
    I have utilised my educational qualifications, by teaching subjects like English and Social Studies at school, and I love it.

working