jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Is there a universally recognized spoken language in the world today?

1. wjlambert profile image76
    wjlambertposted 4 years ago

Is there a universally recognized spoken language in the world today?

When I was a child I was told that I should learn to read and speak French because it was the universal language.  I'm not sure if it's French any more, or if it's some Latin-based, or Arabic-like language.

2. Porshadoxus profile image78
    Porshadoxusposted 4 years ago

Due to the Empire of the United Kingdom in the 1700s and 1800s, and the sometimes-forced worldwide influence of the United States, English is the most widely-spoken language. But I certainly wouldn't call it universal.

Both Spanish and Chinese are gaining ground, but do not yet come close to English in number of speakers, either as a primary or secondary language.

Philosophically, 'redneck' type of speaking might be the most universal. By 'redneck' I mean a distinct semi-dialect within a language, used mostly by the 'unsophisticated' members of the population in any language area. This phenomenon is present in almost every culture and language group big enough to have pockets of population.

3. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 4 years ago

I would have to say English. Many people have their own language they speak. It seems to me that so many of these people's second language is English.

4. profile image0
    mbuggiehposted 4 years ago

Yes---mathematics and several computer programming languages.

5. arksys profile image91
    arksysposted 4 years ago

There is no single universal language.

English, french, spanish, arabic can get you to communicate to a major portion of the world ... i'm not sure about the chinese/kantonese/japanese languages or if they have any common language.