If a book has been extensively edited, is its copyright still valid?

1. krissalus profile image80
    krissalusposted 4 years ago

If a book has been extensively edited, is its copyright still valid?

I wrote a book and obtained the official copyright for it several years ago. Since then, however, the text has been extensively edited and a lot has changed, although characters and major plot points have remained the same. Is the book still protected under the copyright? Or do I have to re-register it as a separate text?

I've tried looking around but I can't find a clear-cut answer to this anywhere. Also, if anyone could provide a source with their answer, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

2. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 4 years ago

I can't give you an exact answer. If I were to do a major re-write of any of my books that I already have filed, I'd republish it as a second edition and take the time to file for a copyright under the new ISBN. All of your new book will have copyright protection if and when you publish it even without filing the paperwork. However, by filing the new claim to "officially" cover the new material, you can get more money awarded if there ever comes a time you sue someone for violating the copyright.

1. krissalus profile image80
      krissalusposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for your answer. Mine is a weird case, though, because it was not actually published under the initial copyright, and I'm looking to do a first run now. I'm not sure what, if anything, that changes, though...

working