jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)

Should education be free of charge ?

1. PeterStip profile image73
    PeterStipposted 3 years ago

Should education be free of charge ?

Education is the most important factor in a developed country. without education the progress of a country will stop. Companies will lose their workers and talented people will go abroad to study and remain there.
    If good education is such a benefit for a state why not give it for free ?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/9697405_f260.jpg

2. Diana Lee profile image85
    Diana Leeposted 3 years ago

Hard work never hurt anyone to achieve what they want out of life.  Free rides in life make us lazy.  Here in the states, scholarships, government grants and government loans are available.  I do think it could be made more affordable for the common man though. Too many miss out because of the burden of expenses put on the families applying for an education.

3. Snøwman profile image59
    Snøwmanposted 3 years ago

Free education would be nice, but isn't possible. Someone has got to pay for the teachers and the books and everything else that comes with education. You could have taxes pay for education, but you still have to pay for it with your taxes. There might be a few teachers that would teach free of charge just because it's what they love to do and they already have enough money, but you would never have enough of those people.

1. dashingscorpio profile image87
      dashingscorpioposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Very true! Teachers are already underpaid. They can't afford to work for free. Someone has to pay for schools, books, a teacher/professor's time and everything else associated with running school programs. Nothing in life is ever really "free".

2. PeterStip profile image73
      PeterStipposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Of course the teachers should be paid, but why not let the government pay them, and a higher salary. Use the taxes wisely.

3. profile image0
      sheilamyersposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I guess I don't have to post my answer because you said it. Nothing in life is free. If the government is paying the money comes in the form of taxes from the people.

4. Aime F profile image84
    Aime Fposted 3 years ago

There are quite a few countries that offer free post-secondary education and I think it's a great idea... though obviously one of those things that's harder to put into motion than it may seem.

I don't really buy the theory that people should get tens of thousands of dollars into debt to know what 'hard work' feels like. University is hard work itself and to have $30,000 of debt staring you in the face the whole time doesn't help. I would love to go to grad school, but I can't afford it.

We have an education savings plan set up for our daughter so she won't have to pay for anything (hopefully). It's not something I feel she should have to do on her own. With the ridiculous tuition costs here, that's the best option.

1. PeterStip profile image73
      PeterStipposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for your honest answer. Yes, I think you will learn better as we'll if you don't have to do a side job during your study. Agriculture and the automobile industry are sponsored enormous by the government, why not education?

5. M. T. Dremer profile image94
    M. T. Dremerposted 3 years ago

Yes, it should be. There is no legal or religious document saying that humans have a right to a free education, but if we want to solve the world's problems, we need an army of educated people to do it. That's not saying that people without an education are incapable of solving problems, it just means that more educated people increases both the chance of solving, and the chance of noticing a problem.

working