Scab growing root into external fixation hole into shin after it was removed?

1. profile image60
    Superman1984posted 3 years ago

Scab growing root into external fixation hole into shin after it was removed?

I recently fractured my ankle and was placed in a external fixation device for 10 weeks. I was left with 3 holes. One hole went completely thru my heel bone while the other two holes where located in my tibia. One of the holes has not healed on the skin surface of my tibia. It developed a small scab around the entrance to the hole in my tibia. The same area is also slightly swollen and sore. There is no drainage or puss. Upon pulling the scab off with tweezers yesterday it appeared to have a large root growing down from the scab into the empty hole. Is this Normal and what is it called?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/10000616_f260.jpg

2. bethperry profile image92
    bethperryposted 3 years ago

I don't know, but I have to ask: why did you peel the scab off? I always think of scabs as "nature's band-aids". If you are worried about the root, I would suggest you contact your physician for advice. Good luck and hope you are soon better!

1. profile image60
      Superman1984posted 3 years agoin reply to this

Takes a long time to see a VA doctor. Figured i could find the answer myself.. and scabs are not always good fyi.. tgey can trap in dirt and diseases into wounds leading to infections..

working