jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (4 posts)

In high school science classes, what stood out to you as the most effective meth

1. HoverLock profile image61
    HoverLockposted 3 years ago

In high school science classes, what stood out to you as the most effective method of teaching?

What types of lessons do you still remember from science class?

2. connorj profile image76
    connorjposted 3 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12269479_f260.jpg

I had a British chemistry teacher named Mr. Firsht. He employed a multi-modal instructional method that was highly effective. It was visual, simple language (auditory-delivery), laced with repetition (both visually and auditory), sometimes active learning or hands-on (i. e. Experiments), Firsht usually associated chemistry with something we could relate to (i. e. Experiment to extract caffeine from a plant or a ridiculous classic British rock song about the elements), he liked to ask questions to check our understanding; actually after I became a psychologist many years later I somewhat suddenly realized he was employing what we consider the Modern Socratic Method...
    I think it is not only what I remember but how much of his curriculum I still remember. He truly taught for long term recall...

1. HoverLock profile image61
      HoverLockposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for your response! Mr. Firsht sounds like a highly effective teacher. His all-encompassing method of teaching science is what I aspire to do in my classroom. It's amazing what the brain is able to recall using the proper learning techniques

2. connorj profile image76
      connorjposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, Hannah, I was indeed lucky to have him in high school. If you Google in quotations "Revelation Theory of Learning" you may find that particular of interest to you...

working