jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

Is it ok to lie every once in a while(white lie, they call it)? Ex: Do I look fa

1. Janice Daniel profile image61
    Janice Danielposted 2 years ago

Is it ok to lie every once in a while(white lie, they call it)? Ex: Do I look fat in this dress?

My daughter is being taught in school that because of mutual respect and compassion can be accomplished
    through a little white lie. It really contradicts what I've have been teaching spiritually. What do you think?

2. profile image0
    candyhippieposted 2 years ago

Looks like this is a double post so I've moved my answer over to the other one, where the other answers are: hubpages.com/relationships/answer/264031/is-it-ok-to-lie-every-once-in-awhilewhite-liefib-ex-do-i-look-fat-in-this-dressijnjas

3. tamarawilhite profile image90
    tamarawilhiteposted 2 years ago

Biblically, it is acceptable to lie to save a life. For example, lying about someone you are hiding so they aren't killed is OK.
    White lies are not ideal, but tactful answers are. Instead of lying about "Yes, that dress looks great", they should learn better answers.

4. Priya Barua profile image90
    Priya Baruaposted 23 months ago

Frankly, white lies are fine  so long it is said in order to 'not' hurt someone. Like, for instance, what your daughter is being taught (though might be against your beliefs) is going to help her prepare for real life. Imagine a situation where your daughter goes to job interview, and just out of the blue, the interviewer asks her whether or not she (your daughter) likes her (the interviewer's) dress. And if your daughter dislikes it, but would she say?
    I know it's not the best example. But white lies are necessary from time to time to both avoid hurting people and to get away from awkward situations.

1. Janice Daniel profile image61
      Janice Danielposted 23 months agoin reply to this

It's still kind of hard to swallow. Just like we should sin just a little. A sin is a sin. My beliefs also tells me that Jehovah/God doesn't like a false witness.  That's how Jesus died on a tree. She's going to have to suck it
      up like others.