jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (10 posts)

Help with Physics

1. Haunty profile image80
    Hauntyposted 6 years ago

This is a homework assignment for my colleague's daughter at the uni. We can't solve it. Can someone help?

The big triangle is a prism.

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/4384018_f248.jpg

Link has bigger image.
    http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/1740/prismk.jpg

1. profile image55
      Slushyposted 6 years agoin reply to this

The 90° angle in the middle of the prisma, between X und Z does not look at all like 90°... is it just a rough drawing or are maybe some of the data wrong?

EDIT: I just realised... is this supposed to be a 3D drawing? Then the "weird" 90 degree angle would make sense smile

2. RDSPhD profile image61
      RDSPhDposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Just watch this 14min video about snell's law, that's all you need to know wink

http://www.khanacademy.org/video/refrac … st=Physics

In your case n=1.58, now you should be able to solve it wink

greetz RDSPhD

1. vydyulashashi profile image61
        vydyulashashiposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I guess this is 3D drawing coz according to physics opposite anglesshould be same. So according to the prism Y should be equal to Z  and hence siny/sinz should be equal to one. But it it is not ,according to the data you gave.
        I guess this needs some higher physics analyst

1. RDSPhD profile image61
          RDSPhDposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I think it's just a sketch and not detailed, I have dealt with thousands of incorrect sketches even on the highest level of my physics studies wink Sometimes Profs or their assistants are just too lazy to not only put some new numbers there every year but also to redraw the sketches wink

Oh and siny/sinz doesn't need to be 1 necessarily! Only when light travels in vacuum! If the prism is denser (which it is of course) n>0 ! n=1.58 suggests that the prism might be made out of Polycarbonate wink

3. vydyulashashi profile image61
      vydyulashashiposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Since opposite angles must be same Y must be equal to 45+z(look carefully on that deviated angle)
      Now I guess in that internal triangle,which you mentioned 90 degrees and if it is correct, the other angles must be 45 and 45 and that implies x must be 45.
      I guess am not correct 100% but have a look on this solution!

1. ediggity profile image60
        ediggityposted 6 years agoin reply to this

The internal triangle is a 30 60 90 triangle with sides of 1,sqrt 3, 2.  Use X to work backwards to find out the interior and exterior angles, then use Snell's law to solve for Y.

2. ediggity profile image60
    ediggityposted 6 years ago

Just glancing, it looks like an equilateral triangle, making X = 60 deg.  Now that you know X you can use Snell's law:

ni*sin(i)=nI*sin(I) to solve for y.

Just make sure not to confuse the ray bending toward the normal.  Additionally, I assume air is ni=1.

3. profile image0
    zampanoposted 6 years ago

It's just an optics exercice.
    Refraction is the subject.

4. paradigmsearch profile image87
    paradigmsearchposted 6 years ago

All I remember from that bygone era is Chief soh cah toa. smile

working