jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (6 posts)

Potentially awesome discovery for the Big Bang theory

1. emrldphx profile image60
    emrldphxposted 5 years ago

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg2 … ysics.html

The idea of the big bang is basically that you have this ball of nearly infinite energy. Having energy condensed that much, it is possible for energy to phase from energy to matter. However, when this happens, there are always 2 particles created: 1 matter and 1 antimatter. The matter/antimatter pair can either collide(turning back into pure energy) or decay into other matter/energy.

Researchers have discovered a type of meson where the pairs don't decay at the same rate. This could explain the Big Bang theory. The problem was, there should always have been 1 anti-matter for every matter, so there would never be a chance for a universe like ours which is all matter. If this is verified, this small difference could explain how there came to be more matter particles than anti-matter particles.

1. Randy Godwin profile image92
      Randy Godwinposted 5 years ago in reply to this

So the odds were that we really shouldn't have mattered at all?

emrldphxposted 5 years ago in reply to this

big_smile

That's what we used to think.

2. lobobrandon profile image84
      lobobrandonposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Thanks emrldphx for bringing this to my notice. I loved your description and went through the article as well. Even shared it on fb..
      It's awesome and I guess this is the best explanation till  date..

emrldphxposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I just got lucky, it was a side-story when I was checking on updates for FTL neutrinos.

1. lobobrandon profile image84
          lobobrandonposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Oh wow smile lucky me as well hehe

working