- Education and Science
When Sh*t Happens
It can happen at any time, it can happen at any place, and it can happen to anyone. Shit happens the minute we are born, and continues to happen long after we die.
When shit happens to one person, it affects everyone around them. No one is exempt, and it really does roll downhill.
If you have ever wondered about the term 'shit happens,' this site may help clarify a few things. Whenever shit happens to you, you are welcome to take it to The Powder Room.
Where It all Began
According to Wikipedia, "Shit happens" is a common slang phrase, used as a simple existential observation that life is full of imperfections, either "AsÃ es la vida" or "C'est la vie". The phrase is an acknowledgment that bad things happen to people for no particular reason."
The origin or earliest use of the phrase is uncertain. In a review of The Yale Book of Quotations (2006) by Fred Shapiro, The New Yorker critic Louis Menand observed that it was "extremely interesting to know, for instance, that the phrase 'Shit happens' was introduced to print by one Connie Eble, in a publication identified as UNC-CH Slang (presumably the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill), in 1983."
Although Wiki has a simple definition of it's origins with references, based on my life's experiences it goes much deeper than that.
It Happens At The Mall - I really saw this, and took the picture.
Sheet Cake Happens
No. It isn't what you think. The only gross thing about this cake is its appearance. This work of art is based on a dear friend's 'covered dish' she and her husband made for my dog's birthday party many years ago.
Nothing unsanitary or unsavory about this recipe. It is especially fun if you like bakery but do not like to bake.
- (1) One Cake - Your choice, any size, any kind, from any bakery with white or green frosting or one unfrosted home made cake.
- (1) Can Vanilla Frosting
- (1) Bag Flaked Coconut
- A Few Drops of Green Food Coloring
- (1) Package Hostess Ho Hos
- (1) Can Chocolate/Fudge Frosting
- Several Colorful Gummy Worms
- Mix a few drops of green food coloring with white frosting. Mix a few drops of green food coloring in the coconut. The green can be as dark or as pale as you like your simulated turf to be.
- Spread green frosting on cake. Top with green coconut. Your bed of grass is ready to be adorned. NOTE: Leave an area of the cake without coconut for writing your message.
- Remove HoHos from package, and strategically place the Ho Hos on the cake's grassy knoll.
- Connect Ho Hos by covering them with the canned chocolate frosting. Position gummy worms as desired.
- Make a cone from wax paper and fill with chocolate frosting. Make a small snip the tip of the cone to allow the cone to be used as a writing instrument. From there, you can reference how 'it happens' in your own words.
- NOTE: This cake is intended for adult parties only. Although this cake is childish in composition, due to its graphic nature it is not designed to entertain children.
Be prepared to duck.
Sometimes It Really Does Hit The Fan . . .
Rich, poor, young, or old - makes no difference who you are or where you are from, we all end up meeting here at one time or another, Here's where you can flush things out, and get it behind you.