- Education and Science»
- Home Schooling & Life Experience Education
Time Management, getting the most of what we get
We all get 24 hours daily. What are the qualities of these 24 hours?
Whenever we try to do too many tasks in just one 24 hours-day, we always feel the pressure of time. We cannot control time, we can control only our priorities. Therefore time management is basically priority management of all our daily tasks.
- Priorities : Do the tasks which are important and urgent. Tasks which are not important and not urgent should not be done at all.
- Delegate ordinary tasks to others.
- Give clear instructions first.
- Then follow-up periodically whether job is being done or not.
- Delegation is not loss of power. On the contrary, it means you are concentrating only on things that really matter while giving responsibility to others of less important tasks.
- What nobody can do, you do that. Delegate the rest. This is the way for you to get the most from your life.
- Stretch the capacities of your second-line subordinates by empowering them with more responsibility and by trusting them.
- Allow them to make mistakes.
- Acknowledge and appreciate them in public and criticize them in private for any delegated job done by them.
This is very important rule for proper delegation.
It is always more easy to do something now rather than later because all problems are "wedge shaped". They increase in geometric progression with time.
Do the nasty job first and then finish the balance peacefully and efficiently.
Perfection is a goal which is desirable but not achievable.
Excellence is a goal which is desirable and achievable, but only sometimes.
A perfectionist attitude causes too much stress and a "burnt out" syndrome very soon.
Too much time is wasted to get that "perfection finish" that leaves other important tasks half done or poorly done.
80 - 20 Rule :
- 80% problems are caused by 20% tasks.
- 80% workers give 20% output.
- 80% tasks give 20% satisfaction
- Therefore, bring down your expectations to 80% from 100%, since 80% of stress is caused by 20% expectations. Consequently, you save yourself a lot of unnecessary and unhealthy stress.
Time wasters :
- Extended meetings.
- Unplanned activities.
- Endless discussions without reaching any conclusions.
- Needless paperwork.
- Confused goals.
- Uncertain priorities.
- Stressful attitudes.
- Wrong decisions.
- Failing to do everything right for the first time.
Taking out 26 hours in 24 hours :
- From your time log book take out all dissatisfying and nonproductive 15 minute slots.
- They may even add up to 2 hour or more per day.
- Utilize these saved 2 hours in more productive work to get 26 hours in 24 hours!