- Entertainment and Media
50 Things You Didn't Know About the Music Industry, or Music in General
By the Numbers
- 10 billion songs are bought on iTunes annually
- 40 billion songs are illegally downloaded annually
- For every $1,000 in music sold the average starving artist makes only $23.40
- Metallica is the only band to perform in all seven continents. They ironically performed there song " Freeze em all" in a concert in Antarctica
- In 1981 Queen and David Bowie recorded under pressure on 24 hour wine and cocaine marathon
- Streaming was 51% of music industry revenue in 2016
- Revenue from Spotify and Pandora outpaced traditional CD sales for the first time in 2014
- Breaking an artist into a major market can cost at least $2 million
- Beyoncé has the 2nd highest grossing tour in 2016 grossing 256.4 million
- The US is The World's Largest Music Market
- Approximately one-third of CDs ever sold have been pirated
Facts About Music in General
- The chills you get when listening to certain songs, is mostly caused by the brain releasing dopamine while anticipating the peak moment of a song. Dopamine is a chemical in the brain that is released during pleasurable situations and stimulates one to seek out pleasurable activities. This chemical is also released when your eating your favorite food, having sex or doing drugs
- Playing Music Regularly will Physically alter the structure of your brain. Brain Plasticity refers to the ability of your brain to change throughout your life. Studies show that musicians have higher brain cortex volume. Brain cortex was the highest in professional musicians and lower in non musicians
- Only one in 10,000 people have perfect pitch. Which is the ability to identify or reproduce a pitch without hearing a reference note. Mariah Carey,Michael Jackson and Mozart are the rare few that have perfect pitch
- The longest song title in the world belongs to Swedish group "Redneck"and is 305 characters long including spaces.
- Hilary Clinton won a Grammy in 1997 for best spoken word album
- Stevie Wonder is the singer with most Grammy's earning a total of 25
The World's Smallest Instrument is...?view quiz statistics
- Despite experiencing world-wide fame and audiences of the thousands , she still suffers from stage fright and has said in the past that she sometimes has panic attacks and throws up backstage
- Adele said that her life goal is too ''never be skinny'' she believes that music is for the ears and not the eyes.
- Adele underwent throat surgery in 2011 because smoking damaged her vocal chords. In 2015 Adele quit smoking and she believed that smoking would eventually kill her
- Celine biggest hit song " My Heart Will Go On " was only recorded in one take which means this global number one hit is actually a demo song
- Celine Dion was a child prodigy she performed for Pope John Paul 2nd at the age of 16 in front of 65,000 people at the Montreal Olympics. Celine even submitted her first demo at the age of 12
- The first album Celine first album ever bought was Stevie Wonder's ''Talking Book" in 1972
Celine donated $1 million to help the victims of Hurricane Katrina. Dion also appeared on Larry King Live and tearfully criticized the U.S. government's slow response in aiding the victims of the hurricane: "There's people still there waiting to be rescued. To me that is not acceptable...How can it be so easy to send planes in another country to kill everybody in a second and destroy lives. We need to serve our country
- The story behind Abel Tesfaye (His Real Name) explained the origin of his stage name in a Reddit Q&A with fans: "I left home when I was about 17 dropped out of high school and convinced Lamar [XO crew member] to do the same lol. We grabbed our mattresses from our parents threw it in our friends s****y van and left one weekend and never came back home... I hated my name at the time though so I tried it as a stage name. It sounded cool. I took out the "e" because there was already a canadian band named the weekend."
- The Weeknd is of Ethiopian decent but was raised in Toronto and speak's Amharic his first language to his parents
- Prince was a huge inspiration of The Weeknd's music
- The Weeknd hopes to be as influential as Whitney Houston and Michael Jackson. " These kids, you know, they don't have a Michael Jackson.'' he told NY times " they don't have prince, they don't have a Whitney Houston. Who else is there ? Who else can really do it at this point?''
- Her parents are pastors and she grew up in a strict Christian home and was only allowed to listen to spiritual songs as a child
- Katy began her career singing Christian Pop
- Katy Perry can play acoustic and electric guitar
- Katy Perry wrote songs for Selena Gomez, Ashley Tisdale and Kelly Clarkson
- Stevie Wonder is blind because he was born six weeks premature and his eyes were under developed, which resulted in retinopathy of prematurity which causes abnormal blood vessels to grow in the retina, This growth caused Stevie's retina's to detach.
- In 1973 Stevie Wonder was involved in a serious car wreck. A lumber truck that was in front of him slammed on the brakes and the vehicles collided. Wonder was slammed in the forehead by the truck bed and knocked unconscious.He was in a coma for several days, and when he came out of it, he'd lost his sense of taste and smell. He was able to leave the hospital a few weeks later, but he didn't perform again until March of 1974. He had to take medication for a year after that, but he eventually recovered, regaining both of his lost senses
- He wrote songs for Prince,Smokey Robinson,Chaka Khan and Aretha Franklin
As much as you love good music it does'nt make sense for you to not have a good speaker to listen to it with
- Justin Bieber looks up to rapper drake
- He began playing guitar at the age of two
- He was awarded the Queen Elizabeth the 2nd Diamond Jubilee Medal
- Justin's favorite music genre is R&B
- Recognized by Rolling Stone as the female vocalist of her generation and by billboards country as Country's Music's reigning queen.
- When asked if it ever becomes difficult to belt at such high intensity during her 90-120 minute live shows, Underwood responded, "I'm too proud to drop keys. I won't do it. Maybe the older I get, I'll write some songs in lower keys so it'll be easier. I've always been pretty good as far as stamina onstage. Being able to work out and stay physically strong is important... So far, it's worked for me. I'm just blessed at being able to be loud for long periods of time."
- Steven Tyler of Aerosmith considers her a friend and has praised Underwood, saying: "I love her stuff. I met her and it was all over after that, once I looked into her eyes. She opened her mouth and sang and she is that good. I loved singing with her". Tyler has also told her: "You were why I took judging for 'Idol', you are exactly why. Not only could you sing good, but you adapted to this...it's a pit! It's a deep, dark, ominous pit. And you get out there on-stage at night with that band, that great band you've got and you make people feel happy, first and foremost".
- As of August 2016, the indomitable Drake has spent 46 consecutive weeks on the top 10 singles chart, setting a new record for male artists. Before Drake broke the mold, The Weeknd was close behind at 45 consecutive weeks in 2015.
- Drake dedicated his album "Views" to one of his fans who is a terminally ill cancer patient named Megan Flores
- Drake has written songs for Rita Ora, Jamie Foxx and Alicia keys
- Christina Aguilera is not actually Caucasian she's half Ecuadorian on her fathers side and her mother is of German Irish Welch and Dutch ancestry. Christina Aguilera told Latina Magazine “I wouldn’t be questioned [about my heritage] if I looked more stereotypically Latina,” she said. “Whatever that is. All I know is no one can tell me I’m not a proud Latina woman
- Christina Aguilera's voice type is coloratura mezzo soprano and spans over four octaves she can even sing whistle notes like Mariah Carey
- Christina had a rough childhood her father was abusive towards her mother and was bullied at school. Christina has stated that she even has nightmares from the painful memories of her childhood. These unfortunate events from her past inspired her to write songs like beautiful and fighter
- Christina Aguilera is bisexual. She told Britain's Cosmopolitan magazine: "I think women are such sensual beings. And, I mean, I'm attracted to men ultimately - I'm married and I love my husband and I love what we do together, but honestly?" "If I had the choice between viewing a naked man or a naked woman, I'd choose the woman. We're just naturally sexier and more beautiful to look at."