- Entertainment and Media»
'80s Movie Soundtracks
If there is one thing you can say about the '80s is it had the best movie soundtracks. From The Breakfast Club to Girls Just Want to Have Fun, '80s soundtracks truly defined '80s movies.
Here is a list of my Top 5 favorite '80 movie soundtracks. Most are well know while others might be a little more obscure.
I hope you enjoy them!
The Lost Boys
This might very well be my favorite '80s soundtrack. Though "Good Times" by INXS and Jimmy Barnes is the most well known track and a must have, Echo and the Bunnymen's version of The Doors' song, "People Are Strange", Gerard McMann's, "Cry Little Sister", and Lou Gramm's , "Lost in the Shadows (The Lost Boys)" are also must haves.
1. Good Times - Inxs With Jimmy Barnes
2. Lost In The Shadows (The Lost Boys) - Lou Gramm
3. Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me - Roger Daltrey
4. Laying Down The Law - Inxs
5. People Are Strange - Echo & The Bunnymen
6. Cry Little Sister [Theme From Lost Boys] - Gerard Mcmann
7. Power Play - Eddie And The Tide
8. I Still Believe - Tim Cappello
9. Beauty Has Her Way - Mummy Calis
10. To The Shock Of Miss Louise - Thomas Newman
Girls Just Want To Have Fun
If The Lost Boys soundtrack is my #1, this is a very close #2. This movie was truly defined by its soundtrack. It was a dance movie after all.
My favorite scene will always be the final dance off between Janie and Jeff and the bad girl Natalie. Who wins and becomes a regular on Dance TV? Well, you'll just have to watch the movie to find out!
1. Shout - Alex Brown
2. Dancing in the Streets - Animotion
3. Too Cruel - Amy Hart
4. Wake Up the Neighborhood - Holland
5. On the Loose - Chris Farren
6. I Can Fly - Rainey
7. Dancing in Heaven (Orbital Be-Bop) - Q-Feel
8. Technique - Rainey
9. Girls Just Want to Have Fun - Deborah Galli with Tami Holbrook, Meredith Marshall
Unfortunately, this soundtrack is super hard to find. I am fortunate to have it on vinyl, but have never found it on CD. I keep hoping iTunes will release it some day.
The Breakfast Club
Probably the most beloved '80s movie and movie soundtrack. Simple Minds "Don't You (Forget About Me)" defines the '80s. And we can't forget the awesome dance scene in the library to Karla DeVito's "We Are Not Alone".
1. Don't You (Forget About Me) - Simple Minds
2. Waiting - Elizabeth Daily
3. Fire In The Twilight - Wang Chung
4. I'm The Dude (Instrumental) - Keith Forsey & Steve Schiff
5. Heart Too Hot To Hold - Jesse Johnson & Stephanie Spruill
6. Dream Montage (Instrumental) - Gary Chang
7. We Are Not Alone - Karla DeVito
8. The Reggae (Instrumental) - Keith Forsey
9. Didn't I Tell You - Joyce Kennedy
10. Love Theme (Instrumental) - Keith Forsey
License to Drive
When this movie was released in 1988, my sister and I went every weekend to see it. She was a Corey Feldman fan, I a Corey Haim fan.
Such a great fun movie with an awesome soundtrack. I just love The Breakfast Club's version of The Beatles, "Drive My Car".
1. Drive My Car - Breakfast Club
2. Sweet Surrender - Brenda K. Starr
3. I Feel Free - Belinda Carlisle
4. Time Starts Now - The Boys Club
5. Get Outta My Dreams, Get Into My Car - Billy Ocean
6. Crucial - New Edition
7. One More Dance - Jonathan Butler
8. Jazzy's In The House - DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince
9. Touch And Go - Femme Fatale
10. Make Some Noise - Slave Raider
This is another tough soundtrack to find. Thankfully, I have it on vinyl. Really great!
Beverly Hills Cop
"The Neutron Dance", "New Attitude", "The Heat is On". . . the Beverly Hills Cop soundtrack!
Relive all of Axel Foley's adventures while listening to this awesome '80s soundtrack. I was always a little disappointed Vanity's "Nasty Girl" wasn't included, but it is still great.
1. New Attitude - Patti LaBelle
2. Don't Get Stopped in Beverly Hills - Shalamar
3. Do You Really (Want My Love?) - Junior
4. Emergency - Rockie Robbins
5. Neutron Dance - Pointer Sisters
6. The Heat is On - Glenn Frey
7. Gratitude -Danny Elfman
8. Stir It Up - Patti LaBelle
9. Rock 'N Roll Me Again - The System
10. Axel F - Harold Faltermeyer
Other Favorite '80s Movie Songs
Try A Little Tenderness from Pretty in Pink
If You Were Here from Sixteen Candles
Mind Over Matter from Summer School