A Wake-Up Call from Wall-E
I have seen Wall-E a couple of times and it doesn't fail to strike a chord and pull my heart strings. It's a Chaplinesque film that makes the viewers think about the subtext and the lessons behind it. Global Warming is a hot-button issue that is taken for granted. Environmentalists have been nagging our world leaders to do something about this pressing concern. Sadly, their appeal has fallen on deaf ears. Wall-E is a movie that teaches people about how to take care of the environment and save the planet from further danger.
1. Wall-E is a robot from Earth who turns garbage into something new. He doesn't throw anything away. He recycles wastes and reinvents objects to make it reusable. We need to take the initiative to lessen our trash to prevent our planet from becoming a dump site.
2. We are living in a modern world where nature is often displaced. We forget about God's gift to mankind. Most people cut trees to build golf courses, high-rise apartments, and department stores. Because of these, almost everything is made of concrete. If every individual plants a tree in their backyard, the air will be fresher and cooler. Massive floods would be prevented. Trees are a symbol of life. Trees need to grow on Earth to provide life in our planet.
3. In first world countries, everything is computerized.Technological advancement has aided manual labor in manufacturing products, goods, and services. In the movie, there was a place in another planet where people were lazy an unaccustomed to hard work. The citizens were obese and never took time to educate themselves because everything was accessible by a push of a button. Gone are the days when people would read the dictionary to find the definition of a word. When I was a child, I would do my research with the help of an encyclopedia. Nowadays, students can get information in a fraction of a second with the help of Wikipedia, Google, and other websites. These are the drawbacks of technology. Humans have become slaves of the digital world which has led to a sedentary lifestyle.
4. The movie featured a scene where the captain of the ship laid his eyes on a stranger. They didn't know each other even if they were living in a community. Human interaction is vital in our world. With the presence of social networking sites and text messaging, we fail to look at the obvious. Face-to-face communication is still the best way to know other people. We need to communicate with people face-tof-ace to feel the sincerity of the individual.
5. Wall-E is an unconventional love story between two robots from different planets. Wall-E is from Earth, while Eva belongs to another planet. Interracial marriages have become a part of our society. Love transcends boundaries. The color of one's skin is no longer a barrier for most citizens. People see what's within the individual. Character is important when finding true love. It doesn't matter if you came from different worlds. What matters most is you can see through one's personality.