- Entertainment and Media»
All Hail The Birthday Queen
It has been brought to my attention that I have altogether too many birthdays. In fact, it is believed I am self-centered, selfish, and phony. Well, them's hurtin' words.
- Self-centered. Well, sure... It's all about me. Ain't it all about you? That's how life is. You are the most important person in your life. Lookin' out for #1. Hey, somebody had a best selling book outta that title. (Robert J. Ringer.) I even bought one of them books. It's like this... You have to create the kind of self you would be happy to live with the rest of your life. And that's exactly what I've done. If I don't love me, how can I expect anyone else to?
- Selfish. Selfish? I guess I don't see this one. Nobody gives me birthday presents....
- Phony. Well, yeah! What's more phony than a self-appointed Queen of Hearts?
Okay... let's look at the birthdays. It started with Me, Myself & I. Anybody can relate to that. ME... the day I changed my name. Now I did not chose this date... the paralegal I hired to present this to the court chose the day...which just happens to be Elvis' birthday... am I complaining? No way! MYSELF... the silly little elf who calls herself the Queen of Hearts should have Valentine's Day for a birthday, don't ya think? I... the day I was born. Simple enough.
Then one day, my cyber friend, Kine, who I call my sister that got dropped in Norway (I am in Columbus, Ohio, USA), decided we are TWINS! and I should celebrate her birthday with her. Since 3 of these were the first 3 months of the year, it just was logical to continue to designate one birthday a month... just like a period. (Oh, I didn't say that!)
- January 8... my ME birthday.
- February 14... my SELF birthday.
- March 12... my TWIN birthday.
April presented a dilemma... I had two children, a daughter-in-law and an ex-husband with April birthdays. I couldn't pick one of those dates, obviously. As it turned out, my April choice was retro-active. It had already passed when I decided to chose April 9. It is to celebrate the life of my mother's sister, my Aunt Joyce, who died on this date, leaving me the Matriarch of the family. Not sure I wanted that designation, but such is life.
I have a son born in May, but I opted to celebrate the daughter who didn't see the light of day, Angie Lee.
My June birthday was a given. June 22. I have always celebrated June 22. My brother, Jerome, was born this day. Since he was older than me, it started the next June after my birth. Fast forward a hundred years, give or take a few... and the discovery that Kris Kristofferson was born on June 22... What can I say?
- April 9... the Life of my aunt.
- May 28... the birth of my daughter who was termed stillborn. (Hey, she was still BORN.)
- June 22... the birthday of my chosen MENTOR...and my brother.
July was also a no-brainer. I love my country.
August was suggested to me by a newly found (thanks Facebook!) cousin...a coupl'a times removed, Marie, who said, 'Hey, my birthday and the day Hawaii became a state are Aug. 21.' Wow! How could I beat that? And then I recalled, my cyber friend, Rita, who went to a nursing home and no longer has internet access was also born on Aug. 21... AND she is a BIRTHMATE TWIN to Kenny Rogers!
September choice was almost a no-brainer, too. 9/9/99 I stopped buying cigarettes!
- July 4... Independence Day.
- Aug. 21... Marie, Rita, Kenny Rogers and Hawaii's birthdays.
- Sept. 9... Celebrating my smoke-free life.
My birthdate is in October... which I share with Teddy Roosevelt, Terry Anderson and Lee Greenwood... God Bless the USA!
November 2 is the day Johnny and I call our Anniversary... of course, we're not married... just very connected.
My December choice was a difficult one, also. My first born child was born on Dec. 4, but her father also died on that date. (2008) My youngest daughter was born on Dec. 2, but I chose the day Laurie Kay died, Dec. 5, after a life of 3 hours and 7 minutes, over midnight, out of respect for my living children.
- Oct. 27... the day I was born.
- Nov. 2... my (fictitious) Anniversary.
- Dec. 5... the life of my first child.
So there you have it. Selfish? I don't think so. Self-centered? Of course. Phony? Yes, unless you consider the Queen of Hearts is based on what the heart means... LOVE.
I love you (my accuser) and everyone else.
Update...1 - 15- 2015
Today I came across a comment I had made on someone's Hub about the death of a child. I had made a comment to the author and feel I need to add part of it here. Here is what I had said,
I lost my first baby. I lost my second baby. Then I got 4 keepers over the ensuing years. But a Mother NEVER forgets. I can close my eyes and still see Laurie Kay and Angie Lee's faces. And how long has it been? 1960 and 1961. Today I celebrate their lives every year as MY birthday. I have 12 of them, and when you look past the silliness (IF anyone does) you find the depth of love in my core. I have been accused of being self centered, selfish and arrogant with my 12 birthdays. I really don't care, and in the case of my lost daughters, it keeps me in touch with their spirits/souls (although I feel my youngest daughter is the same soul as Laurie Kay who came back to me 9 years later. Angie Lee went to other parents after I prevented further pregnancies, but came to me in person when she was in her early 20's and we spent 3 years together. We discussed this and both felt it was true. I even had a hand in naming her as she wanted to change her name. I offered Delta Lee and it took her all of 10 minutes to accept it. A whole story in itself.) It also keeps me in touch with my own Inner Child and life is good.