Burlesque with Cher and Christina Aguilera
"Burlesque" starring Cher and Christina Aguilera is a high-energy and fun film that will leave you ready to sing, dance and fall in love all over again.
Ali (played in Christina Aguilera), a small-town waitress from Iowa sets off to Los Angeles with dreams of singing. She stumbles upon the Burlesque Lounge on the Sunset Strip and is immediately intrigued and vows to do whatever it takes to become one of the performers there. Putting her waitress skills to use, she jumps right in at the club and befriends the bartender, Jack. However, it's owner Tess (played by Cher) that she'll have to impress if she wants to find herself on stage.
Cher portrays a character very similar to Lil in Coyote Ugly and relies heavily on best friend and wardrobe manager, Sean to help her keep the flailing club from going under. Tess, who comes across as hard-nosed reluctantly gives Ali a chance and soon realizes she may have just found a way to breathe new life into the club.
Christina Aguilera's performance, both as a debuting actress and a seasoned singer, dazzles and shines. Her incredible vocals will give you chills while her glamorous costumes, hairstyles and cute flirtations with Jack will make you fall in love with her. From beginning to end, she's someone you want more than anything to get all she wants out of life and you are pretty sure she has what it takes to get it.
I highly recommend this movie and will be adding it my collection upon its DVD release.
"Welcome to Burlesque" sung by Cher
Quick Outline of Characters in "Burlesque"
- Tess-played by Cher, former dancer and half owner of the Burlesque Lounge on the Sunset Strip in Los Angeles
- Vince-Tess’s ex-husband and half owner of the Burlesque Lounge who is constantly worried about losing everything and desperately wants Tess to sell the club
- Sean-gay best friend to Tess and wardrobe manager at the club
- Marcus-wealthy real estate tycoon who spends time at the club and would love to take ownership of the club.
- Ali-played by Christina Aguilera, small-town girl from Iowa with dreams of making it big with her singing talent.
- Jack-played by Cam Gigandet, a good-looking bartender at the Burlesque Lounge, who composes music in his spare time.
Behind the Scenes
2011 Awards Nominations
Broadcast Film Critics Association Awards - Nominated for Critics Choice Award for Best Song "You Haven't Seen the Last of Me", written by Diane Warren and performed by Cher.
Golden Globes, USA - Nominated for the Golden Globe for Best Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy and Best Original Song- Motion Picture for both "Bound to You" and "You Haven't Seen the Last of Me".
Satellite Awards - Nominated for the Satellite Award for Best Original Song for "You Haven't Seen the Last of Me".
Some of the Reasons I Love (and Recommend) the Movie "Burlesque"
- The Chemistry Between Tess and Sean-Tess relies heavily on Sean to help maintain her sanity from the constant pressure of how to keep the club in the black and how to keep her ex-husband Vince from convincing her to sell the club to Marcus. The chemistry and affection between Tess and Sean is both believable and likable. You get a sense of their deep respect for one another and how much they rely on each other. It’s the kind of deep and affectionate friendship everyone longs for.
- The Chemistry Between Jack and Ali-Hunky Jack, one of bartenders at the Burlesque Lounge is the first to befriend new girl in town Ali. They immediately hit it off and play well off of each other. Each of them just confident and cocky enough to keep up with each other. They easily have the kind of chemistry that you anticipate and hope to blossom into more.
- The Chemistry Between Tess and Ali-Both Tess and Ali have a strong and confident personality, but both have their vulnerabilities. When the two come together in the dressing room they display a very tender mother-daughter side that is heartwarming.
- The Chemistry Between the Staff of the Burlesque Lounge-I enjoyed watching the unspoken bond between various members of the staff at the lounge. It’s an essential element of the type of teamwork that is necessary for patrons and customers to feel comfortable and at home at a club of this type.
- The Glamorous and Exciting Costumes and Performances-Burlesque attire is known for its glitzy glamorous sparkle and sex appeal. The performances are sexy but classy. It’s the kind of dancing even “good girls” aspire to have the opportunity to perform. It’s hard to watch them and not feel good. They are feel good songs performed in a feel good manner.
- Incredible Soundtrack-Burlesque is filled with some powerful songs. Christina Aguilera and Cher both deliver some great songs that you can’t help but love. Most soundtracks seem to contain one or two good songs, but this one is packed with great songs. It’s definitely worth the money.
- A Good Old-Fashioned Happy Ending-It’s nice to have a movie where a lot of wrongs are made right and no one gets hurt in the process.
- Burlesque Tastefully Done-On a topic that could easily be done in overly sexual and tasteless way, this movie takes a much more classy and tasteful approach and shows the professional and artistic side to the burlesque business.