- Entertainment and Media
Choosing A Guitar Instruction DVD
Using a guitar lesson DVD is a great way to learn to play the guitar from the comfort of your own home. However, there’s a huge variety to choose from, and it can be hard (especially if you’re a complete beginner) to know which one is best for you.
In this article we’ll take a look at how to choose the best guitar DVD for your needs.
Why Use A Guitar Lessons DVD?
Guitar lessons videos are popular for various reasons. These include:
- They are much cheaper than lessons with a private teacher
- Video lessons enable you to see exactly how to sit and to position and move your hands, as they usually feature close-ups of both hands. This is the next best thing to having a live teacher demonstrate the technique in person.
- With a DVD, it’s very easy to skip to the relevant sections, so you can focus on what you need to know.
- You can also play each part is over and over again, as many times as it takes for you to thoroughly understand it. This is one advantage that guitar videos have over a live teacher!
- A huge variety of video guitar lessons, covering just about every type of guitar and musical style that you might want to learn.
- Guitar instruction videos give you access to tuition from world-class guitarists, who would probably not otherwise be available as teachers.
Selecting A Guitar Lessons Video
So, how do you choose the guitar instruction DVD? Here are some of the things that you should consider when making your choice:
- Firstly, you should check the credentials of the instructor. Are they an expert guitarist? What is their teaching experience and style like? It's important to learn from somebody who knows what they're talking about, especially if you’re a complete beginner.
- You should also consider the production quality of the recording. Professionally produced DVDs will generally be of high quality, but if previews are available, you should always check these out before buying.
- Next, you need to find a DVD which teaches exactly the kind of techniques that you want to learn. This sounds like a no-brainer, but with the huge variety that’s out there, it's important to check the exact list of contents before you buy and not just rely on the title. If you're only interested in advanced blues techniques, you don’t want to end up with a general guitar instruction DVD that’s aimed at beginners!
- You should also check that the format of the DVD is compatible with your DVD player (or your computer if that’s where you're going to be watching it). Many guitar instruction DVDs are designed for a worldwide audience and don’t have region encoding, but this isn’t always the case, so make sure that you'll actually be able to watch your new video before you buy it.
Types Of Guitar Instruction DVD
Guitar video lessons may teach general guitar techniques, or they may cater towards those who are looking for information about specific types of guitar or particular musical styles. They may also be aimed at complete beginners or at intermediate or advanced players. Here is a list of some of the most popular and reputable guitar video lessons in each of the main categories.
General Guitar DVDs
General guitar lesson DVD's are usually aimed at complete beginners, and will cover all the fundamentals of guitar playing that are common to all styles, such as basic rhythm techniques, chords, scales, individual notes and so on.
Acoustic Guitar DVDs
As the name suggests, acoustic guitar instruction DVDs focus on those techniques which are exclusive to playing acoustic guitar, although more general skills will often be covered too. These generally refer to the steel string acoustic guitar, as opposed to nylon string classical and flamenco styles.
Electric Guitar DVDs
Electric guitar lesson DVDs are usually focused on rocks and other popular styles, and may also cover subjects are exclusive to the electric guitar, such as using effects.
Classical Guitar DVDs
Classical guitar lesson DVDs show you how to play the nylon string classical guitar. It’s generally recommended that if you are serious about learning the classical guitar, you should have lessons in person with a teacher, as correct technique is especially important in this style. However, a good classical guitar DVD can provide an excellent supplement to private lessons.
Flamenco Guitar DVDs
Flamenco guitar lesson DVDs are not as widely available as many of the other types, as this style of playing is more difficult and less widespread. However, there are still some excellent recordings available, although as with the classical guitar, it is best to have lessons in person if possible.
Blues Guitar DVDs
Blues guitar is another very popular style that is catered for by producers of guitar instruction DVDs. Many of these assume you already have a mastery of the basics of guitar playing, and are now looking to specialise.
Country Guitar DVDs
Country guitar is another popular style that relies heavily on finger picking techniques. Some of the best country guitar DVDs include:
Jazz Guitar DVDs
Jazz guitar is another specialist style for which video instruction is available, although there is not as much of a wide choice as in some of the other genres.
More Articles About Learning Guitar
- Where To Find Easy Guitar Songs For Beginners
If youre looking for easy songs to play on guitar, it can be hard to know where to start. In this article we'll take a look at some websites and books which offer a great selection of simple guitar songs...
- Learn Blues Guitar - What You Need To Know
If you want to learn to play blues guitar but arent sure whats involved, read on and we'll take a look at all the things that you will need to know, and show you some great resources on the web where...
- 4 Methods For Teaching Yourself Guitar
If you want to teach yourself to play the guitar, there are a number of different paths you could take. The method you choose will depend on your resources and preferred learning style, and its important to...
- Should You Really Teach Yourself Guitar?
If you're interested in teaching yourself to play the guitar, but are unsure if this is the best option for you, then read on. This article takes a look at the pros and cons of becoming a self-taught...
- Why Do People Give Up Playing Guitar?
The guitar is among the most popular musical instruments in the world, and new people start to learn to play guitar every single day. Unfortunately, many of these same people will give up within a few...
- Want To Learn To Play Guitar Fast?
Many people want to learn to play guitar fast. There are even books and websites that promise that you can become a guitar whizz in just a few weeks (or even a few days, in some cases!). These claims should be...
- 4 Beginner Guitar Tips For New Guitarists
If youre thinking about learning to play the guitar, thats a great choice! Youll be joining a huge community of people around the world who are passionate about this fun and versatile instrument. But...
- Play Guitar Better - 5 Tips
If you to play the guitar, but you're not progressing as well as youd like, chances are you might be feeling a bit discouraged. Don't even think about giving up though, because you can learn to play guitar...
- Self-Teaching Guitar Lessons Online: What To Look For
Online guitar lessons have many advantages for beginners and some disadvantages too. This hub takes a look at the things you should consider if you're thinking about teaching yourself to play the guitar...