- Entertainment and Media»
- Movies & Movie Reviews
Dark Shadows with Johnny Depp
Dark Shadows Reborn
On May 11, 2012 the anticipated movie of the soap opera classic Dark Shadows had opened in movie theaters. The movie was produced by Tim Burton of dark campy movies such as; Edward Scissorhands, The Nightmare before Christmas, Corpse Bride and Batman Returns. Johnny Depp will be playing the role of vampire Barnabas Collins. Johnny Depp says he's always been a fan of the 1960s TV show and of vampire movies and he is thrilled to be playing the role.
Johnny Depp Interview on His Role as Barnabas
Dark Shadows Theme
About Dark Shadows
In the year 1966, producer Dan Curtis came up with an idea (from a dream he had) for a soap opera that had a gothic storyline. Since there was nothing like it on daytime television he thought he would give it a try to see if it would have a following. Well his idea was a success, especially among the pre-teens and teenagers who would rush home from school to keep up with the story. The show aired on ABC and ran for five years, ending in April 1971. Ever since, the show has had a cult following.
The story takes place in a mansion called Collinswood in the 18th century. Barnabas is the son of Joshua and Naomi Collins. Barnabas a rich playboy breaks the heart of Angelique Bouchard, a witch who puts a curse on him to become a vampire and locks him in a coffin. Two centuries later, a caregiver named Willie Loomis finds the coffin and opens it, freeing Barnabas. There are ghosts, werewolves and other weird happenings in the house. The whole focus of the show was Barnabas trying to become human again with the help of a psychiatrist Julia Hoffman who was willing to find a cure for him. Barnabas' character is a lonely desperate vampire who falls in love and knows he could never keep the woman he loves unless he's cured or makes them into a vampire by drinking their blood.
The Cast and Characters from the 1st Season:
- Barnabas Collins (Jonathan Frid) - The 200 year old helpless romantic vampire.
- Angelique Bouchard (Lara Parker) - The witch who puts a curse on Barnabas for breaking her heart.
- Dr. Julia Hoffman (Grayson Hall) - The psychiatrist who secretly loves Barnabas and wants to find a cure for him. She is also hired to help 10 year old David with his visions of ghosts.
- Victoria Winters (Alexandra Isles) - The governess who is hired to look after young David and a love interest of Barnabas.
- David Collins (David Henesy) - The 10 year old son of Elizabeth Collins
- Elizabeth Collins Stoddard (Joan Bennett) - The owner of the Collinswood Mansion.
- Roger Collins (Louis Edmonds) - Elizabeth's drunk brother who is married to Angelique.
- Carolyn Stoddard (Nancy Barrett) - Daughter of Elizabeth and brother of David Collins.
- Willie Loomis (John Karlen) - Drunken drifter who knows Barnabas' secret of being a vampire.
- Josette DuPres (Kathryn Leigh Scott) - The woman Barnabas truly loves.
NOTE: Johnathan Frid who played Barnabas Collins on TVs Dark Shadows has passed away on Friday, April 13, 2012 at the age of 87.
(Jonathan Frid as Barnabas Collins)
Tim Burton's Dark Shadows
The plot of the movie is similar to the original soap opera, but the year when Barnabas is set free from his coffin, is 1972. He has to become acclimated to his new environment and meeting his modern day relatives. There are a few extra characters that Burton threw in, like an old lady housekeeper, Barnabas Collins as a child, a young Victoria Winters, a hippie chick and a guest appearance by Alice Cooper as himself. There is also some surprise visits from the original Dark Shadows cast members; Jonathan Frid (Barnabas), Lara Parker (Angelique), and Kathryn Leigh Scott (Josette).
The New Cast:
- Barnabas Collins - (Johnny Depp)
- Elizabeth Collins Stoddard - (Michelle Pfeiffer)
- Dr. Julia Hoffman - (Helena Bonham Carter)
- Carolyn Stoddard - (Chloe Grace Moretz)
- Angelique Bouchard - (Eva Green)
- David Collins - (Culliver McGrath)
- Victoria Winters / Josette DuPres - (Bella Heathcote)
- Roger Collins - (Jonny Lee Miller)
- Willie Loomis - (Jackie Earlehaley)
- Young Barnabas Collins - (Thomas McDonell)
New Movie Trailer of Dark Shadows 2012
Dark Shadows Fan Club Festival
- Dark Shadows Festival
The official Dark Shadows Fan Club with annual conventions to meet the original cast members.
Johnny Depp Dark Shadows
My Other Hubs
- Charity Squid on HubPages
A list of all my Hubs.