- Entertainment and Media
Learning to Love Yourself and Others through Music
Make the World a Better Place: Let Your Music Inspire You
It has been said that music is the universal language, and in many respects, that it true. Music comes in many genres, but there is at least one genre that speaks to everyone, whether it be rock and roll, country, jazz, classical, rap, alternative or the blues. While there are only a handful of notes on the musical scale, there are infinite possibilities for how those notes can be used to create unique melodies that tug at the hearts and minds of those that listen. For me, enjoying music is a visceral experience. There is a genre for every mood. If I am in no particular mood, I can decide which mood I'd like to settle in to and choose a brand of music that facilitates that transition for me.
What is also remarkable about music, aside from the magical feelings that melodies create, is the power that the lyrics can have. I am always saddened by song writers that choose to use their "talents" (I have to use that term loosely in some cases) to propagate hate and intolerance, when the opportunities are ripe for spreading a message of love and social justice. I'm not suggesting that all music needs to have some deep undercurrent that sparks a movement or inspires a generation, but if you have the privilege of being heard by the masses, why not make your voice stand for something important?
There are several songs that have been written that illustrate the point I am trying to make about how music can be used as a call to action or to inspire positive emotions and reactions such as tolerance, love, peace, acceptance, and self-appreciation. These songs speak to me and I hope that they speak to you as well. They can create a nice backdrop to public rallies, speeches, and slideshows for motivational speakers and political movers and shakers. Many of them are about self-love and the strength it takes to look deep within yourself and accept yourself for you who are. We must all find a way to do this before we can truly love and appreciate others in any meaningful way.
It shouldn't take a song to help each of us find our inner diplomats, but sometimes we need reminders about how much we love and appreciate not only ourselves, but our fellow human beings as well. When you hear these songs, I hope they serve to instill or reignite the following principles:
- Each human being is of infinite worth
- Everyone is beautiful in their own way
- Everyone deserves love and respect
- One act of kindness will always lead to another...and another...and so on
- A simple smile can change the life of someone at a critical juncture
- Life is a precious gift, don't waste it
- Showing cruelty and intolerance toward others not only devalues them, but it also devalues you!
- The earth is home to each of us, let's work together to make it a brilliant, safe and compassionate place to live!
- Even in our darkest hours, there is an inner strength in each of us. Don't stop looking until you find yours.
Peace and love,