- Entertainment and Media
Five Ways for Artists to Survive A Dumb Job
- I Hate My Job: Steps to Relieve Job Burnout
So you hate your job and you feel burned out on a daily basis? Before giving in to workplace stress, figure out a way to love your job or start loving something else.
- Help! I Hate My Job
What are you going to do if you really hate your job? You can change things with a little help and advice.
There are a lot of artists out in the world working jobs that are boring to their creative minds. Many of these artists wish they could be making a living by doing their passion. Here are several tips on how artists stuck in dumb jobs can overcome the boredom and get paid for what they love to do.
1. Keep scrap pieces of paper nearby. Write down creative ideas, poems, or pictures.
2. Keep paraphenelia found around work; stickers, labels, advertisements, or paperwork and create a found art masterpiece or make a creative statement about your job.
3. Collect pieces of information about your work including chemicals listed on labels, or things you dislike or like and create a diary or zine based on the things ( which you could write on your scrap pieces of paper).
4. Bring a recorder to work and tape weird machine sounds and use them as samples in music, or create a noise music piece.
5. Engage other workers in art by posting artworks in the bathrooms, or challenging co-workers to an art contest.
Robin Coe is a journalist and author. She wrote the fantasy novel "Fly on the Wall" and graphic novel "Illustrated Book of Wrath".