- Entertainment and Media»
Germany's First Teen Pop/Rock Band: The Teens
I love music! and especially I love to listen to music from other countries. I discovered this amazing teen pop-rock band from Germany that was famous in the late 1970s and early 80's. They became the first German teen band to perform all of their songs in English and only one song in Spanish. The band consisted of Uwe Schneider as Lead guitarist, Joseph Treptow playing rythm guitar, Robert Beaur as lead singer, Alexander Moebius playing the bass, and Micheal Uhlich playing the drums.
Rock and Roll is My Life
Their Start and Success in Germany
The Teens was started in 1976 as a student band by Micheal Uhlich and Uwe Schneide. The Teens were a group of young boys mostly aged thirteen and fourteen, they were carefree, young, and armed with pelvic thrust.
The beginnigs were anything but promising. "Horrible, absolutely horrible," remembers producer Norman Ascot about his first meeting with The Teens. "They had no idea how to tune their guitars." When some of his friends asked him if he wanted to produce the band he refused quickly by saying: "What am I going to do with children?" But when the boy band got another chance to prove their musical skills he was a kink. At that same night he wrote "Gimmie, Gimme, Gimme, Gimme Your Love" a song that would become The Teens first big hit in Germany and would rise to number 7 in the German music charts.
All of The Teens albums were mainly composed by Norman Ascot, some of their albums were also composed by Tom Cunningham. The sound engineer was David Allen.
Their popularity was mainly supported by Bravo magazine, a teen magazine from Germany. As a result of their success they won an Otto Bravo Gold Award as the most popular pop group. The Bravo photographer Didi Zill wrote several songs for the band.
The Teens- Funny Money Honey
Two Facts about The Teens
- "Gimme, Gimme, Gimme, Gimme Your Love was the only song that The Teens sang in both Spanish and English. It was released in Spain in Spanish under the name "Dame, Dame, Dame Tu Amor." It stayed in first place in the Spanish music charts for several weeks.
- The band sold about 5 million records worldwide.
The Teens- 1,2,3,4 Red light
The Teens Albums
- The Teens- released in 10/23/1978
- The Teens and Jeans and Rock n'Roll- released in 8/27/1979
- The Teens Today- released in 3/31/1980
- Rock City Nights- released in 10/27/1980
- Explosion- released in 8/31/1981
- One More Chance- released in 1999