Get Up, Get Into It, Get Involved: A Wake-Up Playlist for Sleepy Heads
Waking Up is Hard to Do
Waking up for a lot of us, is the hardest part of the day. Especially in the winter months when the cold slaps us in the face as we climb out of bed. And while there are alarms to wake us from our slumber, how about some cool tunes to motivate us?
Personally, I've never struggled to wake up but it is hard sometimes to physically extract myself out of bed. So with that in mind, I've decided to come up with songs to listen to for anybody sluggish in the A.M.
Practical Tips to Waking Up
While I understand it is hard to wake up and that music does help us get moving, there are other ways for you to make sure you arise as happily as possible.
1. Eat a Small Amount of Sugar Before Bedtime- Now we all know that giving a little kid sugar at the wrong time of day (afternoon and/or evening) can put us in a conundrum around bedtime. But for many of us, a small snack that includes some sugar like yogurt or cookies will actually let the sugar hit your bloodstream and pep you up enough to get up with greater ease.
2. Go to Bed at a Regular Time- Everyone says it, but it's up to you to actually do it. This is especially important for those of us working or in school. You can't just expect your body to go with the flow and not expect some push back. It might be hard at first but there are ways to ease yourself into it.
3. Deprogram Yourself at Least One Hour Before Bedtime- This is a good way to ease yourself into a comfortable bedtime. By deprogramming, I mean to think of yourself as a computer. Slowly shut down instead of just pressing the power button. If that includes keeping television and internet to a minimum, listening to soothing and relaxing music, not eating heavy meals or drinking alcohol then by all means do it.
4. Get Excited for the Day Ahead- Sometimes, I think of everyday as Christmas. Not in the sense of not doing anything, but going in with great expectations and having them met. If you have that kind of attitude, then you'll burst of bed with great excitement.
And now without further ado, I present the ultimate wake-up playlist.
Wake Up Tunes
Here are some songs that are great to wake up to:
1. "Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go" Wham!- This is an obvious choice to me, but for others I understand the apprehension. It's talking about dancing and filing data reports doesn't always conjure up the same excitement that George Michael had in the 1980s. But either way, it also can be interpreted as wanting to join in the next great adventure which won't happen if you sleep it away.
2. "Beautiful Day" U2- I grew to love this song about eight years after the fact, but either way it's still amazing. I think Bono captures what many of us are thinking on so many levels in an eloquent way. That and the song is sure to get stuck in your head for the rest of the day, is reason enough for you to add this to your playlist.
3. "Get Up Offa That Thing" James Brown- This song makes me want to dance for hours on end and sometimes even doing something. If you're not particularly feeling too well, all you have to do as follow the advice of the man who was known as The Hardest Working Man in Showbusiness.
4. "Early in the Morning" The Gap Band- If you don't know who the Gap Band is, this song is a great introduction. Even though Charlie Wilson's talking about finding another love, this song can be applied to anything you need to accomplish during the day.
5. "Here Comes the Sun" The Beatles- It's hard for this song not to bring a smile to your face. It's poetic and sweet and simple. And it's the Beatles! It doesn't get much better than that.
6. "Pocketful of Sunshine" Natasha Bedingfield- Not only was this song stuck in my head, but after watching Emma Stone give it the comic treatment in 2010's "Easy A," I loved it even more. But before the film this song promoted a positive attitude no matter what may come your way during the day.
7. "Good Morning" The Cast of "Singing in the Rain"- This song has recently been used in an orange juice commercial, with good logic. Your frown will instantly turn upside down when you hear this song.
8. "It's a Beautiful Morning" The Rascals- Another song used in commercials, it just makes you feel good to wake up and smell the fresh air air.
I hope you've enjoyed this playlist, but most of all I hope it helps you wake up. Thanks for reading!