Shopping Online from Your Home TV with Flex-Pay
Shopping Made Easy Online
Nothing can be more fun or easier than home shopping online from the comfort of a comfy chair (or your bed!) I discovered this one day when I stumbled across the HSN Home Shopping Channel. You know, that channel that you land on often while channel surfing between television shows. That channel that sucks you in with latest greatest laptop offering or the latest greatest high mega-pixel camera complete with software (just to name a few things that channel offers )
I have to admit, I used to just ignore the home shopping channels for the most part. I wasn't too keen on home shopping online or from a TV show. After sitting down one day though and actually WATCHING the show, I decided to give shopping online a try (not to mention that I was hooked by the fact that I could use flex-pay, and stagger my purchases over the course of 3 months )
Who could resist?
You can also order on the web
The Benefits of Shopping and Ordering Online
So my first purchase on the home shopping channel was for a small video recorder and a photo printer. It wasn't a random purchase because I had been wanting a small portable video camcorder to take videos of my grandchildren with. I specifically wanted one that was small, portable and one that I could carry in my purse. The RCA Small Wonder fit the bill and I have been totally satisfied with my purchase (it cost around $79 at the time) It also came with editing software so I could edit my clips and easily upload them to YouTube. The other purchase I made was for a small printer that has a touchscreen that shows all my camera photos and lets me print out high quality photos at the touch of a button (I'm a photographer so this print on demand option was perfect for me - plus it doesn't have to be plugged into a computer.I can also take it with me to events)
The benefits I found shopping online or phoning in my order from home?
1) VERY INFORMATIVE. I was able to learn a lot about the products because of the visual presentation and product explanation (I felt very comfortable with what I was ACTUALLY ordering)
2) EASY. I don't like mall shopping so this was nice not having to go out in the weather and finding a parking space or finding someone to give me the type of help I needed. You can order online or you can order by phone as you watch the show.
3) GOOD RETURN POLICY. My first camcorder was not what I expected so sent it back and was promptly refunded my money (beats having to return it to the store, for me anyway)
4) FAST SERVICE. I got my online purchase within a week...
5) FLEX PAYMENTS. I was able to pay on flex-pay, so I got my camera and printer right away with only a small down payment - and I was able to pay the balance over the next 3 months. I especially Ike this idea because I was a little short on cash at the time I ordered. This gave me some time to pay off the rest
6) INTERNET SUPPORT. I was also able to go online and get even more information on the products I liked.
Shopping Online- So Far, So Good!
The possible downsides of home shopping online or from the TV? Well in all honesty I could say someone that shops online or by phone needs to be very very careful not to overspend or buy things randomly just because they "want it" or "like it". I have changed my spending habits so I look more for things I "need", can truly "use"and purchases that are within my budget. I could see how shopping online could become a problem for people that don't know how to reign in their impulse purchases.
Since I plan on buying a new pair of boots and a new laptop soon, these will be items I will be looking for online when I'm ready to purchase. Since I have a wide foot I may need to go mall shopping for boots but I may try online shoes once and see how it goes. The laptop I have no problem purchasing online because I am already pretty familiar with the features I need in a new laptop. Plus if for any reason I am not happy with it I can return the item for a full refund. Since I've experienced a speedy return policy with HSN I am confident ordering online.
So summing up my experience with shopping online from home, I have to say it has definitely been a positive one. If you are one of those people that have been sitting on the fence wondering if shopping online or by phone is for you, my advice would be to give it a try at least once and see what you think. I have now embraced shopping from home and I think shopping online will become a more and more popular way of purchasing things. I know I love my new camera and am looking forward to getting my next purchase in the mail. It's just like Christmas when the packages arrive!!
(Dorsi Diaz is a freelance writer/publisher here on the Internet and writes about a variety of topics including frugal living, political issues and moms kind of stuff)