- Entertainment and Media»
- Movies & Movie Reviews»
- Science Fiction & Fantasy Films»
- Science Fiction
Hopes for Battlefront II
Star Wars Battlefront (2015) was a pretty good game, but seemed so incomplete in a number of ways, and can't even come close to competing with the original games in the series.
As one who grew up with the franchise, I know how much of an upgrade battlefront II was to the original battlefront, and how much of a massive letdown EA's version was. It was lacking a massive amount of heroes, a large number of great locations, and SPACE COMBAT. First off, I understand the maps in 2015's Battlefront were significantly larger than the versions in Battlefront II, but Battlefront II had a significantly greater amount of planets. This led to more diverse gameplay and more places to explore.
Additionally, Battlefront (2015) only took place during the Galactic Civil War, which resulted in characters only from episodes IV-VI to appear, and left out planets such as Geonosis and Mustafar.
Now I want to discuss a few key elements that already show Batlefront II (2017) being better than its predecessor, and a few features I hope EA will include to make it even better.
If you haven't seen the trailer yet, here it is
Features We Know
We already know a few things that EA plans to add in that already make it better than Battlefront of '15. These include:
- An actual campaign centered around elite stormtroopers that will take place after the events of Episode VI.
- The game will take place during all three eras, as we see with Yoda fighting Darth Maul, Young Luke facing the elite storm troopers, and Kylo Ren fighting Rei.
- More heroes including Darth Maul, Yoda, Rei, Kylo Ren, Luke Skywalker, and more.
I would like to put an emphasis on the campaign. Although we knew Battlefront wouldn't have an actual campaign, players still really wanted it. Battlefront II's campaign will take place after the second Deathstar blows up, and we know at some point the elite troopers will run into Luke Skywalker. Assuming the campaign is canon, Luke will likely kill the elite trooper, and this may be the end of the story.
That much is determinable through the trailer, however, the story can easily begin during the clone wars, as the initial Battlefront II did, and can continue to the events of episode VII and beyond.
Now with what we know out of the way, the following are are a few features I hope get added to the game.
So far we have seen the Moon of Endor and Hoth making a return, two locations that have been in every battlefront game and will most likely continue appearing, as these are fan favorites. We also have seen a desert planet that resembles Tatooine, another fan favorite map. There additionally appears to be space battles, which would be so incredibly amazing.
Even with those though there are many maps that should totally be added including:
- Kashyyyk - a planet that appears to be in the trailer, but has been in both the original Battlefront and Battlefront II. For those wondering this is the home planet of the Wookies, and had an amazing battle in Episode III.
- Mustafar - a lava planet where Anakin-turned-Vader lost his limbs. This planet made an appearance in Battlefront II but not the initial battlefront, so it would be cool to see EA do the same thing here.
- Rhen Var - Not displayed in any of the movies, Rhen Var was only in the original Battlefront game.Rhen Var was a lot like Hoth, and had two map variants, Harbor and Citadel. Citadel was a massive building and Harbor was a large map with either an AT-TE or AT-AT.
- Geonosis - Look, if you're going to have the Clone Wars you HAVE to include this map. It's literally the best thing in the clone wars.
- Corosaunt - Another map only in Battlefront II, Corosaunt is a great city map that would be awesome to see with 2017's graphics. It'd be nice to see EA's take to it.
Here are just some game modes that should really be added either from the original Battlefronts, battlefront (2015) or fan ideas.
Many fans were confused as to why Conquest wasn't in the new Battlefront. After all, EA is known for Conquest in their Battlefield games and Conquest was the main game mode in Battlefront I and II. They could still add it in Battlefront II, and it may even become the number one game mode, surpassing even Walker Assault. Speaking of which...
Walker Assault was the number one game mode in Battlefront (2015) and has no reason of being left out in its sequel. Walker Assault featured AT-AT walkers traveling to a target where rebels had to call in for Y-wing bomber support and the empire had to defend their walkers. This can continue with the First Empire, as we know they also have AT-AT walkers. That just leaves the clone wars. Now the game mode could only reflect off of the Empire and First Order, OR Walker Assault during the Clone Wars could replace AT-AT walkers with AT-TEs. These are the walkers you see on Geonosis in episode II.
Space combat was a game mode first introduced in battlefront II, where two sides have space cruisers and players had to shoot down enemy ships or destroy the parts of the cruiser to win. Players were disappointed when this mode wasn't implemented in Battlefront, so it'd be nice to see EA correct those mistakes and add it here.
Hero Assault was yet another game mode introduced in Battlefront II, but was only on one map. In it EVERY player was a hero, and multiple players could be the same hero. This lead to terrifying encounters when one Luke Skywalker would be going against three General Grievous's. In any case, it was an extremely fun and needs to make a return.
Yeah just add it. Everyone knows what Team Deathmatch is, just kill the enemy team. It's real simple and would be favored by players that don't like objective gamemodes.
Read Clans of Blood, a short read about a newly turned vampire living in Miami
Although some of these are already confirmed, I will still state them nonetheless.
- Clone Wars: Anakin Skywalker, Obi-Wan Kenobi, General Grievous, Yoda, Darth Maul, Count Dooku, Jango Fett.
- Galactic Civil War: Luke Skywalker, Boba Fett, Darth Sidious, Princess Leia, Chewbacca, Han Solo, Darth Vader
- After Civil War: Rei, Kylo Ren, Ep VIII Characters perhaps through free DLC
More Races and Outfits
Races like Wookies and Ewoks should be playable for the rebellion on their planets. On Geonosis CIS players should be allowed to play as Geonosians, on Naboo Republic players should be allowed to play as Gungans. The empire should have more customizable options as well, seeing as to how many different kinds of soldiers there are it is easily doable.
Actually Enter Vehicles
Vehicle pickups were just annoying and really broke the emersion. Even if the vehicles just worked the way Battlefield One had them it would work better. Having the freedom to enter and exit a vehicle without it blowing up would make the game significantly better.
Speaking of vehicles, give the rebel alliance vehicles. They have had more than just X and Y-wings, they even had their own variants of tanks and have used AATs at times. This should be added to Battlefront II to give the rebels more power.
Well I hope you enjoyed this little blog and hopefully someone over at Dice and EA has read this and can add in a few of these ideas. If you have any hopes be sure to leave them down in the comments.