Interview With The Extraordinary Ordinary Crew: Erin Hawkins
1. Can you relate to the character(s) of the film? If yes, why?
The characters are very relatable because they’re everyday people tackling issues that are so prevalent.
2. If you were given a chance to choose a character that you would like to portray, which character would it be and why?
Definitely Bianca! I’m such an introvert, so portraying her would be a complete opposite of my personality.
3. What was your motivating factor as an associate producer of the film?
Being a woman of color, mental health is rarely talked about in our community. Knowing that I was involved in a project that was giving a voice to the voiceless was the motivating factor for me.
4. What was the hardest scene for you to watch in the movie and why?
The opening scene when Erica was receiving her gynecological exam. As a registered nurse, I’ve seen young ladies who have had traumatic experiences and unfortunately having those exams can be a major trigger for them, so seeing that scene takes me back to those emotions I felt when interacting with those women.
5. What is the core value that you would like to instill in the minds and hearts of the viewers?
You’re not alone and you matter! Tap into resources and/or people who can help you. Your mental health is important and essential.
6. Have you ever experienced anxiety and depression? If yes, what was the first step that you took?
I suffered from post-partum depression with my last son. The first step I took was recognizing and admitting that I wasn’t in a good place and that I needed help.
7. When you have a troubled mind, whom do you talk to and why?
I’m a Christian; therefore, prayer is huge for me. Praying and meditating on the Word of God gives me peace.
8. What was your favorite scene in the movie and why?
The reading of the Extraordinary Ordinary project by Erica and Bianca-it’s a culminating scene with raw emotion that resonates.
9. What have you learned during the filming?
Interestingly enough, just like filmmaking is a process, so is self-management of anxiety and depression. It doesn’t all happen at once, but once you pull in all the right tools, people, resources, you’ll end up with something amazing worth fighting for.
10. Can you share your upcoming project(s) and social media?
Absolutely! I’ve been blessed to step into the role as Executive Producer of four feature films currently in production. One of the features, Thandi’s Love has been developed into a short film currently on the film festival circuit.
Follow me on twitter and Instagram @erinhawkinsrn
11. Lastly, can you give an elevator speech for your prospective viewers?
The Extraordinary Ordinary is a must- see. It exudes creative expression with a clear message of hope, love, and resilience.
The Extraordinary Ordinary Trailer
© 2020 Shey Saints