- Entertainment and Media»
Mike Tomkins: My Tribute
Mike Tomkins: Inspiration
Several weeks ago a thought popped into my head as I was battling writer's block. I thought to myself, I love music, right? Maybe I should fuel that passion by transfering it over to my writing. So, I wrote an article on Music Covers which discussed what they are, their benefits and the requirements necessary to create one. As I was concluding the article, I shared with my readers that I was going to be starting a music tribute series in which I would pay tribute to Cover Artists on YouTube. My intention was to help these talented artists gain some publicity, because they are not well known outside of the YouTube Realm.
I have now covered five Cover Artists, Sam Tsui, Boyce Avenue, Tyler Ward, Maddi Jane and Julia Sheer. Today, I will be presenting a very unique Cover Artist. This young man sings popular songs but also adds percussion and other various instruments to his songs. The sounds you will hear in the songs I will be displaying have all been created by his mouth!
I hope you enjoy this Cover Artist wonder, Mike Tomkins!
Mike Tomkins: First Sample Video Below!
Before I get started with the article, I would like to share with you a sample video of Mike Tomkin's music which I hope will provide you with a taste of his talent and unique style. I must warn you that Mike Tomkins uses some exaggerated and dramtic expressions while he sings. He most likely got these expressions from his acting and stage prductions experiences.
Enjoy Mike Tomkins' cover of "Teenage Dream" by Katy Perry!
Mike Tomkins: "Teenage Dream" by Katy Perry
Mike Tomkins: Background
I am sure you are all aware of what Black Friday is whether you participate or not. That one night where you stay up and basically shop til you drop. I am also sure that you are wondering why I am discussing Black Friday when I should be paying tribute to Mike Tomkins. Well, the reason why is because his birth reminded me of Black Friday. Mike Tomkins was born during the "Black Friday" trajedy in Edmonton, Canada. In the year of 1987, a deathly tornado hit Edmonton, Canada. The Edmontonians refer to this tornado as "Black Friday" which occurred on July 31, 1987. This tornado killed 27 people, injured more than 300 people, destroyed more than 300 homes, and caused more than $332.27M worth of damage.
Mike Tomkin's musical career began when he was eight years old. He started learning how to beat box at the ripe age of eight. From then on, his music career has rocketed! He excelled in his high school where he performed in several musical productions and graduated with honors from high school vocal music. Mike Tomkins then continued his musical career at the Ontario Institute of Audio Recording Technology(OIART). Mike Tomkins graduated from OIART with a diploma in musical production with honors and two music awards.
So there you have it! Mike Tomkins, the successful music production extraordinaire who survived the "Black Friday" trajedy in Edmonton, Canada. Now let's enjoy some more music and learn a few interesting facts!
Mike Tomkins: "Dynamite" by Taio Cruz
Mike Tomkins Webpages
- Mike Tompkins Itunes
Preview and download top songs and albums by Mike Tompkins on the iTunes Store. Songs by Mike Tompkins start at just $0.99.
- Mike Tompkins Twitter
Find Mike Tomkins on Twitter! Become a follower to get his latest tweets!
- Mike Tomkins Facebook
Find Mike Tomkins on Facebook! Find out when Mike Tomkins will be producing new covers.
- Mike Tompkins Website
You can visit this site to read more about Mike Tomkins and find some downloads for his music!
This Is My Rating Of Mike Tomkins' Music
Mike Tomkins: Interesting Facts
- Mike Tomkins was born in Edmonton, Canada. Christywrites, he was born in Canada! Maybe Mike and Carly should perform together!
- He survived the "Black Friday" tornado on July, 31, 1987.
- In 2007, He was deemed a "recording ace" by the London Free Press after spending that year engineering and producing acclaimed releases including Shad’s Juno and Polaris nominated album “The Old Prince”. (This was written by an editorialist from www.lastfm.music)
- Mike Tomkins was featured on the Ellen Degeneres show, where he sang his cover of "Dynamite" by Taio Cruz.
- Mike Tomkins' initial dream was to produce music, but that slowly evolved into music covers after he began performing on YouTube for fun. He now does both, producing and singing!
- His cover of "Teenage Dream" by Katy Perry reached an astronomical number of 2,000,000 views within two months!
- His cover of "Teenage Dream" gave him a ticket to the Ellen Degeneres show, The Today Show and a few trips to Florida to work with Timbaland.
- Mike Tomkins' videos are performed by only using his mouth and his voice!
- Mike Tomkins' YouTube Channel has 555,854 subscribers!
- His YouTube Channel has 97,099,717 views!
- Mike Tomkins' Facebook page has 341,034 likes!
- His Twitter Account has 59,750 followers!
My Favorite Song From Mike Tomkin's Repertoire
This is the last video I will be sharing, but definitely not the least! This is currently my favorite video of Mike Tomkins! I hope you enjoy his cover of "Rolling In The Deep!"
Mike Tomkins: "Rolling In The Deep" by Adele
Why Should I Write For HubPages?
Have you been trying to find a site where you can hone your writing skills? Have you been searching for a community that will welcome you with open arms? If you have been, look no further. HubPages is the place for you! Just click here, to be well on your way to developing your writing skills! Signing up is fast, easy and free!
Until Next Time!
I hope you have enjoyed this overview of Cover Artist Mike Tomkins! His musical resume is outstanding, and I see big things for him in the future of musical production and singing! I enjoy his songs because are they vastly different than most of the music you hear today. His unique voice and ability to add so many musical instruments with only his mouth were the enticing factors for me. I started listening to him about a year ago, and have loved him ever since!
Well, that is it for now fellow hubbers! Enjoy listening to Mike Tomkins and create some playlists! Until Next Time!