Movie review for The Blind Side (2009 movie)
The Blind Side movie review
The Blind Side is a Good Movie!
THE BLIND SIDE MOVIE REVIEW
The Blind Side was a good movie. Starring Sandra Bullock, The Blind Side the movie is based on a true story about the Tuohy family who took Big Mike or Michael Oher into their home when he had no place to go. He later became a famous football player.
THE BLIND SIDE the movie
- The story of The Blind Side begins with a man's attempt to enroll both his son and Michael (who sometimes sleeps on his couch when he is seeking shelter) into a prestigious school. In The Blind Side the movie, when the school's football coach sees the two boys playing basketball outside, he is convinced to support the man's appeal to get them into the school.
- In The Blind Side movie, when the coach approaches the rest of the admissions team to state the case, he says that as a Christian school, they should consider letting Michael enroll as the Christian thing to do.
- In THE BLIND SIDE the movie, the admissions team at the school is eventually convinced to admit Michael but they have doubts regarding his abilities.
- In rounds of various tests, he scores in extremely low (5th and 6th) percentiles in categories like "ability to learn" but he scores in the 95th percentile in "protective instincts".
- The latter ( protective instincts) becomes a recurring part of the theme as Michael develops into an outstanding defensive football player.
MOVIE REVIEW OF THE BLIND SIDE
1. Michael and Mrs. Tuohy
In The Blind Side movie, the character Michael's birth mother has a drug addiction problem and is evicted from her apartment. She has many different children and is unable to care for them.
In The Blind Side the movie, Michael seizes the opportunity when he is admitted to the school but he still lacks a consistent place to rest his head at night.
One cold evening, Michael is walking on the street in shorts. The Tuohy family drives past him and asks him where he is headed. Michael says he is going to the gym. He hopes to find some warmth there but Mrs. Tuohy played by Sandra Bullock knows that the gym is closed for the evening.
She asks Michael if he has any place to stay. He begins to say yes but she sternly says "Don't you dare lie to me". Michael admits that he has no place to stay and she tells him to come with them. They take him to their home and he stays on the couch.
The next day, he tries to leave but Mrs. Tuohy convinces him to continue staying. Eventually, Michael is moved from the couch into his own room. He remarks that he never had one before and Mrs. Tuohy thinks he is talking about a room of his own but what he has never had before is a bed of his own. Mrs. Tuouhy is saddened when she hears this and walks away not wanting to be visibly emotional.
Don't you dare lie to me.— Mrs. Tuohy to Michael in The Blind Side the movie
2. In time, grades improve for the character Michael in The Blind Side movie
Things progress for Michael in school in The Blind Side movie. He is not good at taking written exams but his teachers work with him, sometimes giving him oral exams. His grades improve enough to play on the high school football team. The Tuohys encourage this because of Michael's size and athletic ability and the fact that they are an athletic family.
3. Football recruiters in The Blind Side
In The Blind Side movie, Michael proves to be an amazing sportsman and soon enough colleges are recruiting him for their football teams. Michael is given many offers and the choice is his. He must however graduate from high school with a minimum 2.5 GPA. He gets a tutor played by Kathy Bates to help him with this goal.
Indeed he achieves it and his final choices for playing college football come down to Ole Miss, Tennessee and LSU. Michael is leaning toward Tennessee but there is family history at Ole Miss. Both Mr. and Mrs. Tuohy went to Ole Miss and even the tutor went there! They all encourage Michael to go there as well.
4. Ole Miss and the NCAA
When Michael decides upon Ole Miss as his final choice of schools to attend, interrogation from the NCAA comes shortly after. The NCAA want to be sure that Michael was not swayed or influenced in his decision. The Tuohys who have become Michael's legal guardians are big supporters of their alma mater, including financial support and they have the status of "boosters". Since they are giving money to Ole Miss and Michael whom they have taken into their home and provided for is now going to attend Ole Miss, there seem to be some suspicions arising about their motives for helping Michael out of his unfortunate circumstances.
All the accusations are dismissed as over the top soon enough and Michael is able to start looking toward his future of college and even professional football.
THE BLIND SIDE the movie
THE BLIND SIDE the movie - Directed by John Lee Hancock
Starring Sandra Bullock as Leigh Anne Tuohy, Tim McGraw as Sean Tuohy, Quinton Aaron as Michael Oher, Jae Head as S.J. (Sean Jr.) Tuohy, Lily Collins as Collins Tuohy, Kathy Bates as Miss Sue and others
THE BLIND SIDE is Rated PG-13, running time is 129 minutes
I rate THE BLIND SIDE 4/5 stars
The Blind Side the movie
© 2010 Nyesha Pagnou MPH