Best Movies to Watch During a Blizzard or Snowstorm
The wind is blowing, the snow is falling and a winter wonderland is forming. The night is cold as the blizzard rages outside but yet there is a calmness to the marshmallow like world outside the window. You could go for a walk in the snow or bring back memories of your youth and go sledding but sitting at home sounds just as good! You make a bowl of popcorn, grab a cup of hot chocolate, throw a log on the fire and grab some blankets for your couch. Now what movie should you watch?
There are two options: watch a blizzard theme movie, or escape from cold and watch an island getaway movie. Below I list my recommendations for both options:
If your mood matches that of the blowing snow outside I recommend some of the following films, which all feature the cold snowstorm as a main setting, just like out your window!
1. My number one recommendation is The Shining (1980). This great movie staring Jack Nicholson, is in the horror genre but is well worth the view. The movie follows a small family that are caretakers of a remote resort in the mountains. The son has a psychic connection and the stepfather (Jack Nicholson) is susceptible to ghostly influences, which eventually drives him crazy. As the story climaxes, a blizzard rages on outside trapping the family in the resort, adding to the atmosphere of the calm yet trapping effect of snow. I hope that person sitting next to you on the couch hasn't been all work and no play!
2. Another great movie to watch during a Blizzard is The Day After Tomorrow (2004). This film stars Dennis Quaid and Jake Gyllenhaal. This film follows a father and son as the world's climate suddenly changes and an instant freeze grips the northern latitudes. Jake Gyllenhall who plays Sam, Dennis Quaid's son in the movie, is trapped in the New York Public Library from first storm surge, then freezing temperature. Sam is with a small group of people who need to survive the cold, while Dennis Quaid's character Jack battles his way from D.C. to New York to save his son. What better film to watch then one about the entering into an ice age?
3. Another film that is great for a blizzard is Dreamcatcher (2003). Another science fiction/horror genre film it follows a group of friends, with unique gifts, who go to a cabin in the middle of the woods for a hunting/camping trip. During this trip a blizzard moves in followed by an alien invasion, but not like any invasion you've seen before. The story ties back to an individual the group of friends helped years before and helps to explain what is going on. The isolation created by the storm, just like out your window, adds a feeling of insecurity while watching this movie, a great way to scare you during your own entrapment during a blizzard!
4. The next movie I would recommend is also from the science fiction/horror genre, it is Stephen King's Storm of the Century. This movie tells the story of a small island town off the coast of New England preparing for a snowstorm larger then they have seen in years. it's a close knit community where every one knows every one else, at least that's what the people believe. When a string of murders show up and all the children are suddenly knocked out cold, the parents and leaders of this small island community are going to have to make tough decisions when they meet the supernatural being behind it all. Just like the members of this island community cut off by the storm so will you be in your own house, a great parallel!
5. Since many of these movies I've listed are a little intense lets put up a comedy. How about Groundhog Day (1993). This comedy follows Bill Murray, a weatherman covering Ground Hog day in Punxsutawney, Penn. where a snow storm prevents him from leaving as he relives the same day over and over again. This comedy set in the grey landscape of mid winter will get you to chuckle quite a bit. Wouldn't you love to relive your snow day once in a while?
6. My final recommendation is a dramatic movie. This film is a little older but has all the makings of a soap opera like movie. A great blizzard movie to watch is Airport (1970) starring Burt Lancaster. The movie follows the inner workings of airport employees dealing with a crippling snowstorm, personal drama, and a bomber! This classic film will get you involved and keep you watching all the way to the end!
2014 Update - Frozen
After the huge success of the Disney film Frozen, it has to be added to list! This latest animated Disney movie has captured the attention of almost every single young girl in the United States and could be called an instant Disney classic. The film surrounds two sisters, one of which as magical powers to turn everything to ice and snow. This is a great family movie to watch during a snowstorm, you're own little princess will feel just like Elsa as the white flakes fly outside your window! Elsa may be letting go but your kids will never let this movie go!
Can't Stand the Cold? Maybe a Beach Movie to Escape?
If winter isn't your favorite season and you dread blizzards, there are movies you can watch that will put you in the summer mode! You know the ones with the beautiful beaches, warm waters, and every character is in a bathing suit! Here's a list of some fun movies that you can watch during a blizzard to take the frostbite out of your fingers and toes.
- Summer Rental (1985)
- Captain Ron (1992)
- Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (2003)
- Jaws (1975)
- The Blue Lagoon (1980)
- Cast Away (2000)