My Top 20 Classic Films
Films are great entertainment. They can teach us, inspire us, scare us and excite us...They are also historic and tells us what is going on at that period of our history. Some film are timeless and they speak of universal truths. Some have great music or dance routines that are just entertaining to watch. Some are creative and innovative.
- June 2020
What qualifies as a film classic? To me, it needs several elements.
1. It has to stand the test of time, at least 30 years.
2. It has to have wide audience appeal.
3. It has to be representative of a genre, best of breed.
4. It is memorable and would warrant watching it again and again.
5. Superb acting, music or dance, choreography or direction.
6. Entertaining...and evoke emotional response.
7. Relevant to that time period but transcends time.
My List of the Top 20 (In no particular order)
- The Godfather trilogy
- The Sound of Music
- West Side Story / Romeo and Juliet
- 2001 A Space Odyssey
- Rear Window / Vertigo
- Mary Poppins
- Dr. Zhivago
- Love Story
- My Fair Lady
- The Time Machine
- Breakfast at Tiffany's
- Roman Holiday / Three Coins in the Fountain
- Fidler on the Roof
- Lost Horizon
- Fahrenheit 451
- Gone With the Wind
- It Happened One Night
- Flower Drum Song
- From Russia With Love / Goldfinger
These are some of my favorite old movies. I called them classics but some may argue whether some belongs on this list and why some others are left out.
It is a personal preference, no rhyme or reason. Hope you enjoy them as much as I did.
A Quick and Simple Poll
How many have you watched?
Another Related Poll
How old are you?
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2020 Jack Lee