- Entertainment and Media»
I started listening to Diana Krall 2002-3. Not only is she a brilliant singer of Jazz and a great Piano player. she has got those ever so long legs.
Anyway I am continued to be amazed at her electrifying mesmerizing performances around the world. I've joined her fan club and encouraged by leaving fan mail to do another Australia tour as I missed the last one.
Anyway for now i must bear just listening to the rapturous music on C.D.s and Pod's.and thank god of course for YouTube.
In 1993, Krall released her first album, Stepping Out , which she recorded with John Clayton and Jeff Hamilton. It caught the attention of producer Tommy LiPuma, who produced her second album, Only Trust Your Heart (1995).
Her third, All for You: A Dedication to the Nat King Cole Trio (1996), was nominated for a Grammy and continued for 70 weeks in the Billboard jazz charts. Love Scenes (1997) quickly became a hit record with the trio of Krall, Russell Malone (guitar) and Christian McBride (bass).
In August 2000, Krall was paired on a 20-city tour with Tony Bennett.
Orchestral arrangements by Johnny Mandel provided the background on When I Look In Your Eyes (1999); more Grammy nominations came along, and she was rewarded as Best Jazz Musician of the Year. The band mix was kept, following arrangements on The Look of Love (2001) created by Claus Ogerman; this record achieved platinum status and reached the top 10 of the Billboard 200.
The Album Look of Love went to number one on the Canadian album charts and went quadruple platinum in that country. The title track from the album, a cover of the Casino Royale standard popularized in the late 1960s by Dusty Springfield and Sergio Mendes, reached number 22 on the adult contemporary chart.
In September 2001, Krall began a world tour. Her concert at the Paris Olympia was recorded and released as her first live record. Diana Krall - Live in Paris topped the Billboard jazz charts, went top 20 on the Billboard 200 and went top five in Canada. It garnered her second Grammy (Best Vocal Jazz Record) and a Juno Award. The album included covers of Billy Joels "Just The Way You Are" (a hit on U.S. smooth jazz radio) and Joni Mitchell's "A Case Of You."
After marrying Elvis Costello, she worked with him as a lyricist, and started to compose her own songs, resulting in the album The Girl in the Other Room . The album, released in April 2004, quickly rose to the top five in the United Kingdom and made the Australian top 40 album charts. "Temptation", a cover of the Tom Waits's song off his Frank's Wild Years album of 1987, reached number one of the World Jazz Charts (based on the U.S., Germany, France, Japan and China).
She also joined Ray Charles on his Genius Loves Company album in 2004 on the song, "You Don't Know Me."
In late May 2007, Krall was featured in a Lexus ad campaign. She also sang, "Dream a Little Dream of Me" with piano accompaniment by legendary pianist Hank Jones.
In 2000, she was awarded the Order of British Columbia. In 2003 she was given an honorary Ph.D. (Fine Arts) from the University of Victoria. In 2004 she was inducted into Canada's Walk of Fame. In 2005, she was made an Officer of the Order of Canada.
She is an honorary board member of the Multiple Myeloma Research Foundation.
- 1989 (2002) - Heartdrops with Vince Benedetti - (TCB, unauthorized)
- 1993 - Stepping Out - (Justin Time Records)
- 1995 - Only Trust Your Heart - (GRP Records)
- 1996 - All for You: A Dedication to the Nat King Cole Trio - (Impulse! Records)
- 1997 - Love Scenes - (Impulse! Records)
- 1998 - Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas (EP) - (Impulse! Records)
- 1999 - When I Look in Your Eyes - (Verve Records)
- 2001 - The Look of Love - (Verve Records)
- 2002 - Live in Paris - (Verve Records)
- 2004 - The Girl in the Other Room - (Verve Records)
- 2005 - Christmas Songs with the Clayton/Hamilton Jazz Orchestra - (Verve Records)
- 2006 - From This Moment On - (Verve Records)
- 2007 - The Very Best Of Diana Krall - (Verve Records)
- 2002 - Live in Paris - (Eagle Records, Pioneer DVD)
- 2004 - Live at the Montreal Jazz Festival - (Verve Records)