Oprah Winfrey Defends Duchess Meghan Markle
Some people have spoken negatively about Meghan Markle, Duchess of Sussex since she started dating Prince Harry in 2016. The nasty remarks continued through her engagement, wedding and as she is expecting to give birth to a baby in a few weeks.
It seems as if the negative comments will never stop. Almost everything the 37-year-old mom-to-be does, says, or wears is scrutinized.
Several people have spoken out in her defense on many occasions. The most recent person to do is television personality Oprah Winfrey
Oprah Stands Up for the Duchess of Sussex
On Wednesday, April 10, Oprah appeared on CBS This Morning where her best friend Gayle King is one of the anchors. Oprah did not beat around the bush. She came right out and said the royal mother-to-be is being treated unfairly.
The television icon added that she believes that if people really knew the Duchess of Sussex, they would know that she is a wonderful person with a loving heart. Oprah said her royal friend is being graceful in her position as the wife of Prince Harry.
The successful 65-year-old media executive, actress, talk show host, television producer, and philanthropist concluded that she thinks it is a good thing that Meghan doesn't read everything that is said about her in the tabloids and on social media.
Gayle agreed with Oprah that Meghan is very kind, and she doesn't deserve the bad comments she is receiving.
Now haters against the Duchess of Sussex are attacking Oprah Winfrey for defending her.
Oprah's Relationship with Meghan
Winfrey attended Prince Harry and Meghan's royal wedding on May 19, 2018. She also attended Meghan's first baby shower that was held in New York City at the end of February.
Oprah is very much involved with the royal couple. She is working with Prince Harry on a mental health series that will launch on Apple next year. Not only is Oprah friendly with Prince Harry and Meghan, she also has a friendship with Meghan's mother Doria Ragland.
Others Have Defended Meghan
Oprah is not the only one coming to Meghan’s defense. Five of Meghan's close friends kept silent for nearly two years. Back in February, those in the Duchess of Sussex's inner circle told PEOPLE they were standing up against the global bullying of their friend.
Actor George Clooney and his wife Amal Clooney have become close with Meghan since her marriage to Prince Harry. George publicly defended her back in February at the height of criticisms.
The actor told Australia's Who magazine that the media is chasing the Duchess of Sussex everywhere she goes. He pointed out that she has been pursued and vilified during the final stage of her pregnancy. He added that history is repeating itself because the media did the same thing to Princess Diana.
Long List of Negative Comments
Throughout her pregnancy, the Duchess of Sussex has been the target of cruel media reports. Many of them are untrue.
- Meghan has been accused of behaving badly towards three of her palace aides that caused them to quit.
- Some people blame the Duchess of Sussex for the unhealthy relationship with her father Thomas Markle and half-sister Samantha Markle.
- Rumors spread that she and her sister-in-law Kate Middleton do not get along, and that is the reason Prince Harry and Duchess Meghan have moved to Frogmore Cottage.
- She has also been the target of numerous racist comments on the royal family's social media accounts.
- Some people join Facebook groups just so they can criticize Meghan.
- In spite of seeing Meghan's growing belly, some people have posted that the Duchess is not really pregnant and is using a surrogate to have a baby for her and Prince Harry.
- Some folks are saying the Duchess of Sussex was pregnant before she got married even though she has already been married since last May which was 10 months ago, and there is no baby yet.
According to CNN, Meghan has said she stays off of social media to avoid reading negative comments about her. Meghan has been targeted with an increase in racist online abuse. Because of the rise in unfair remarks about the Duchess of Sussex, the British Royal Family is monitoring its social media accounts.
On April 2 the Duke and Duchess of Sussex launched their own Instagram account @SussexRoyal. Before then, their news and activities were posted on Kensington Palace's account @KensingtonRoyal. Other members of the royal family also have their own accounts.