Planet Terror DVD Review
Rose McGowan as Cherry Darling dancing
Rose McGowan as Cherry Darling
When compared to Death Proof, I thought this was the better of the two Grindhouse movies. It had the guns, Rose McGowan in a mini skirt, Rose running around with a machine gun leg, Michael Biehn, and zombies.
A few comments:
- The fake preview Machete is included maybe because it's rumored (and likely) to be made.
- There was a Jungle Julia reference as a tribute, meaning that the events in the movie happened after Jungle Julia died in Death Proof.
- For a low budget movie, the special effects for Cherry's legs are excellent. In disc 2, Robert Rodriguez shows how the effects were made.
- Robert Rodriguez hired many non-actors from his personal life, such as his doctor (doctor showing infected penis in scene with ), his twin nieces (the baby sitters), his realtor (Skip, the strip club owner), and his son (son of the doctors William and Dakota Block).
- In the DVD and the theater, I always thought that the caravan scene was funny because Freddy was leading the group in a pocket bike.
- It's comforting that Bruce Willis was the one who offed Osama Bin Laden -- "...two in his heart. One in his computer."
He killed Osama Bin Laden!
Planet Terror is also a great zombie movie. It's very campy despite the gore. Music is the only area that is not better than "Death Proof". The music in this movie is unassuming, but Rose McGowan has a melodic number at the end as the credits rolled.
Best scene is when Cherry launched herself over a wall using her rocket launcher leg.
Best movie quote in a long time as delivered by Michael Biehn:
"Try not to shoot yourselves. Don't shoot each other. But especially... don't shoot me."