Star Wars the Force Awakens: Who are Rey's parents?
Anyone who has seen Star Wars the Force Awakens walks away wondering who are Rey's parents? There are a few popular theories about who her parents are and why they left her alone on the dust planet of Jakku.
SPOILERS AHEAD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!DON'T READ UNLESS YOU HAVE SEEN STAR WARS THE FORCE AWAKENS.
- Is Star Wars the Force Awakens just a remake?
Is Star Wars the Force Awakens just a remake or it its own special film. Read the evidence and decide for yourself.
Theory 1: Han Solo and Leia Skywalker
Rey's parents could be Han Solo and Leia Skywalker. The similarities between Han and Rey during the movie are uncanny they both are able to fly the Millennium Falcon as if they are in tune to each other. At some points Rey practically reads Han's minds with what he is planning and how to do it. Han is so taken with her that he was willing to offer her a job on the Falcon. They both had/have jobs involving ships. this would also make her and Ben brother and sister. Ben made a remark about how Rey saw Han as her father and how he would only disappoint her too. The relationship between Rey and Ben during the movie points to them having some sort of family relationship.
Working off this assumption there are a few ways that Rey could have been left alone by herself on Jakku.
- After Ben's defection to the dark side Han and Leia were told that their daughter died during the killing at the temple. Luke then dropped her off on Jakku to keep her from following in her brother's path and himself from failing to teach her. This theory is supported by young Rey being dressed in jedi clothing and how she seems to grasp the force easily with no training. In this theory Rey was trained somewhat in the force and has just forgotten or was memory wiped, but the muscle memory is still there.
- During a rebel alliance/resistance plan she was separated from her family and assumed dead. She then could have been left on Jakku or dropped their by some stranger who found her. The way that she was just left on Jakku points to her not being left their by Han or Leia who would have shown more compassion or left her on a world that would have treated her better.
- After the betrayal of their son Han ans Leia felt they would hurt Rey by keeping her. Personally I don't see them doing this after the amount of care they still have for Ben after his betrayal, but it is a popular theory.
Theory 2: Luke is Rey's father
A very popular theory and the one that I personally believe is that Rey is Luke's Daughter. When you look at their pictures there is a lot of resemblance. They share a similar backstory of growing up in a tough home life where they have to look out for themselves on a dust planet without biological parents. Evidence:
- Luke's Light saber responds to Rey. This could be due to her being his daughter when you add in the strong feelings and memories it shares with her.
- All of the memories shown from the light-saber could have been Luke's because he would have also fought Ben. Meaning that the memory of Rey being left on Jakku would have been Luke's memory.
- When Rey was dropped off at Jakku she was dressed light a jedi youngling.
- R2-D2 only woke to provide the map when Rey came to the base maybe he sensed a biological connection to his owner.
Theory 4: Obi-Wan is Rey's grandfather
This theory is supported by very little actual evidence. Yet there are a lot of people who are really hoping that Obi-Wan is in the new Star Wars trilogy even if only through is grand daughter. This theory is based on how Rey's personality is similar to Obi-Wan's she is loyal to her friends and yet she has a calm center. Her actions are similar to Obi-Wan's when he stormed the death star with Luke. The one problem with this theory is Obi-Wan seemed unlikely to brake his vows and there was no mention of a child of his in any of the movies. However the Jedi's vows forbid marriage and attachment they do NOT forbid one night stands where there is no attachment. The books show that Obi-Wan had an interest in Siri a fellow apprentice. While it seems unlikely that these two would have a child it does raise the question of if Obi-Wan ever slept with anyone else. In the clone wars TV show Obi-Wan was very good friends with duchess satine kryze before she died. It could be possible that they had one night together where she became pregnant, but knowing of Obi-Wan's vows opted not to tell him or anyone else of the child's parentage. When she died the child would have been raised be her family or friends. This child could be Rey's mother or father.
Theory 4: An Unknown Skywalker
I personally don't put much stock in this theory, but some people think that in the opening of Star Wars the lack of commas where it talks about Leia searching for her brother Luke points to there being another Skywalker Relative. Personally I think that the makers of the film just did not want to weigh the intro down with a ton of punctuation. In this theory there are two ways this could go.
- Padme and Anakin Skywalker had triplets not twins. The third sibling remained completely hidden in the previous movies and maybe had no force sense at all.
- Leia's adopted family adopted a second child a boy who had Rey.
- Anakin Skywalker's mother had a second child before or after him that was taken away from her and raised by someone else. Rey is this child's granddaughter.
- Anakin Skywalker's mother has a brother or sister whose great grand child is Rey.