- Entertainment and Media»
- Cartoons & Animation
Superman Vs Silver Surfer
Welcome! Today in Fantasy Fight, Superman from DC Comics faces Silver Surfer from Marvel Comics. These two are some of the strongest heroes Marvel and DC have to offer. Which one can conquer the other? Today we analyze their abilities, skills, and strategies to decide who will emerge victorious!
History and Analysis: Superman
Born as Kal-El on planet Krypton, Superman now spends his time fighting evil on Earth. To disguise himself when not in costume, he works under the name Clark Kent. Kent's journalistic duties allow him to both be on the scene when evil attacks, and protect his love interest, reporter Lois Lane. Superman works tirelessly to defend his new planet from the likes of Lex Luthor, General Zod, and several other villains.
1. Strength. No one knows the exact extent of Superman's power, but we do know he can easily lift over 100 tons, has incredible endurance, and has been seen moving entire planets. His prowess waxes and wanes with exposure to sunlight or radiation, which unlock his strength due to his Kryptonian physiology. Superman's heritage also accounts for his other capabilities listed.
2. Invulnerability. It takes a *lot* to hurt Superman. His nearly indestructible body resists blunt trauma, energy beams, the vacuum of space, disease, and even nuclear attacks. He also heals injuries much quicker than a human, and doesn't require food or water. Superman even ages slowly as long as his body absorbs sunlight.
3. Speed/Flight. Superman can not only fly, but fly incredibly fast. Some sources cite him exceeding the speed of light.
4. Super Breath. Superman can excel enough pressure from his lungs to create hurricane-like gales. Also, he can chill his breath to freezing temperatures to disable enemies.
5. Enhanced Senses. Superman possesses advanced senses of smell, hearing, and sight. In particular, his vision capabilities include powerful beams of heat called Heat Vision, X-Ray Vision, Microscopic Vision, and Nuclear Fission Vision. Okay okay, you caught me, I made up that last one.
6. Intellect/Will. While not the smartest hero ever, Superman still possess a sharp mind and a pure spirit, incapable of being bribed or corrupted.
1. Kryptonite. Superman's body and powers become drastically weakened by this crystal-like material.
2. Magic. One of the few elements that can damage Superman is magic. He won't fall to a single magical attack, but he can be weakened and harmed with the right sorcery.
3. Lack of Sunlight. If Superman goes too long without absorbing normal yellow sunlight, he weakens considerably. Absorbing non-yellow sunlight also induces a loss of his powers.
While it might not take a genius to discover Superman's identity (come on Kent, you're not even wearing a mask), no one can deny that he packs one heck of a punch.
History and Analysis: Silver Surfer
Norrin Radd lived in a utopian society on planet Zenn-La. However, he grew unsatisfied with the culture over time, believing no goals were left to accomplish; hunger, disease, and war all had vanished. Matters worsened when both of his parents, also discontent with society, took their own lives. Radd vowed to find a way to improve the galaxy. Unfortunately a terribly powerful being, Galactus "Devourer of Worlds", threatened to destroy Zenn-La by absorbing all its energy. Desperate to save his home planet, Radd bargained with Galactus. The Devourer of Worlds agreed to spare Zenn-La in exchange for eternal service. Thus, Galactus bestowed upon Radd amazing and mystical powers, but Radd was forced to find other worlds to sustain Galactus. Radd, as the Silver Surfer, eventually escaped his bonds. He now works to atone for past sins and spread justice throughout the galaxy.
1.Endurance/Healing. Silver Surfer's body is exceptionally tough, and demonstrates the capabilities of withstanding space, enduring intense temperatures and pressures, and even passing through black holes unharmed. Silver Surfer has incredible durability, only needing to rest once every several years, and he is able to absorb certain energies, such as light. He can even regenerate pieces of himself and his board using his energy source, the Power Cosmic.
2. Strength. Often overlooked as one of Surfer's attributes, the Power Cosmic bestows amazing physical strength.
3. Phasing. Silver Surfer can turn himself intangible, allowing him to pass through physical matter, or avoid physical attacks.
4. Flight/Speed/Time Control. More helpful attribute from the Power Cosmic. Silver Surfer can fly faster than the speed of light, and his mind works just as rapidly. He may push time forward or backward by traveling fast enough. He also may levitate, even without his signature board.
5. Energy/Matter Control. Silver Surfer can generate powerful force fields and rearrange molecules. For example, he could manipulate a liquid into a gas. That may not sound terribly impressive, but it offers a way to attack opponents on a molecular level.
6. Super Senses. Silver Surfer's advanced senses include super vision and hearing. Try saying "Silver Surfer's Super Senses" 5 times fast! Preferably not in public.
7. Telepathy. Silver Surfer can read minds. Hey, if the whole defender of the galaxy thing doesn't play out, he'd make a great psychic medium.
8. Silver Surfboard. Though the name of this equipment may be silly, it offers a nearly indestructible shield or battering ram. Additionally, Surfer can control it mentally, should the two become physically separated.
1. Board Dependent. Evidence suggests Silver Surfer must stay within a certain distance of his board; however, the exact connection between the two remains an enigma. However, Surfer's abilities to control and move the board mentally, and even create a whole new one nullify this potential weakness.
Who Should Win?
After examining the strengths and weaknesses of each titan, which do you think should claim victory?
Each combatant will fight in a one-on-one match until one is killed, rendered helpless, or surrenders. For the setting, our combatants will take their large-scale battle into space, away from bystanders. And now, for all fans, Fantasy Fight!
And The Winner Is..
Superman And Silver Surfer both possess incredible powers of flight, speed, strength, healing, and can withstand space. Each have several methods of attack, from punches to laser beams to energy manipulation. The deciding factor for this clash was Superman's weaknesses. As the two battle across space, eventually one of three possibilities would cripple Superman. The pair of heroes perhaps encounter fragments of Kryptonite (spread throughout space when planet Krypton exploded), find non-yellow sunlight, or simply venture too far away from yellow sunlight. Any of these situations result in Superman weakening, allowing Surfer to finish him off. Also, even if Superman had managed to destroy the Silver Surfboard during the battle, Surfer could create a new one. Finally, Surfer can phase in and out of tangibility, avoiding Superman's blows while scoring some of his own. Today, Marvel claims the victory. Come back next time for another Fantasy Fight!
Don't worry Superman, at least you're not bald.