The Stars of New York Dance 5th Anniversary Honors Rev. Al Sharpton
Rev. Al Sharpton Dances with Daughter Dominique
Rev. Al Sharpton is the chosen honoree for the Stars of New York Dance 5th Anniversary celebration of competing fun fancy footwork and dance scholarship fundraising. It’s never too late to participate– you can attend the event or generously donate. The 2014 dance competition is on Friday, Nov. 7 at 7:00 pm and will be held at the Kumble Theater for the Performing Arts, LIU-Brooklyn Campus, One University Plaza, Brooklyn, NY 11201. There is also a VIP Cocktail Reception at 5:30 pm. General admission is $75 and VIP reception with priority seating is $125.
"I am honored and frankly proud to have been chosen for this honor by The Stars of New York Dance. The uniqueness and effectiveness of this organization in my home borough makes this a special place in my heart. I remember dancing with my daughter Dominique at the first event. I look forward to it!" - Rev. Al Sharpton
The Stars of New York Dance annually partners some of New York City's most recognizable community leaders (Dancing Stars) together with five professional dance artists that teach and perform with a community-based dance organization. The “Dancing Stars” will compete to win a $5,000 dance scholarship award for their dance partners’ dance organization that will provide free or subsidized dance education to children and youth from low-income communities, and pay for their dance tuition fees, class uniforms, shoes and dance costumes.
The 5th Anniversary Dance Competitors
- New York City Council Member Laurie Cumbo, 35th Council District in Brooklyn (2011 Stars of New York Dance Runner-up)
- Sheena Wright, President/ CEO, United Way of New York City
- Rev. Shaun J. Lee, Pastor, Mt. Lebanon Baptist Church in Brooklyn
- Tony Herbert, Vice President, The African American International Chamber of Commerce
- John Wright, President, The Wright Group NY
- Jamel Gaines, Creative Outlet Dance Theatre of Brooklyn
- Naeemah Brown, Cradle-N-the-Rock Youth Dance Ensemble
- Zakiya M. Harris, Asase Yaa African American Dance Theater
- Germaul Barnes, Bedford Stuyvesant Restoration Corporation Youth Arts Academy
- Jeannie Mitchell, Pure Onyx Movement
Special Guest Presenters
- Host Errol Louis of NY1 News
- Nicole Paultre Bell, President, When It's Real, Its Forever, Org.
- Kenneth P. Thompson, Kings County District Attorney
- Terrie M. Williams, Public Relations Guru + Mental Health Advocate
- Rev. Dr. Johnny Ray Youngblood, Executive Pastor, Mt. Pisgah Baptist Church
Support this worthy cause and make an online donation or mail your tax deductible donation, made payable to Fractured Atlas with "The Stars of New York Dance" in the memo line, to:
The Stars of New York Dance
P.O. Box 170511, Times Plaza Station
Brooklyn, NY 11217.
NOTE: The Stars of New York Dance is a sponsored project of Fractured Atlas, a non-profit arts service organization.
For media inquiries, to make a donation, or for more information, contact Founder/ Executive Producer Cheryl Todmann:
- Phone- 917-623-7299
- Email- firstname.lastname@example.org
- Web- http://www.thestarsofnewyorkdance.com
The 2013 Stars of New York Dance Recap Video
Council Member Laurie Cumbo is the 5th Anniversary Dance Champion for The Stars of New York Dance!
She and her dance partner Jamel Gaines of Creative Outlet Dance Theatre of Brooklyn turned up with a sizzling, smoking hot Miami-styled dance to the sounds of JLo!
Because of her participation, Creative Outlet wins $5,000 to provide five or more children from low-income communities in New York City with a free or subsidized year of high-quality dance education and training.
Click link to see the "dance video recap".