- Entertainment and Media»
- Movies & Movie Reviews
Top 10 movies of Brittany Murphy
Brittany Murphy in the movie Love and Other Disasters
The best of Brittany Murphy
It is rather unfortunate to lose another promising and bright star, and it seems the year 2009 has been a year marked with many untimely deaths of our beloved celebrities. Brittany Murphy (10/11/77 – 20/12/09), joins this infamous list after suffering a fatal cardiac arrest in L.A., USA. I wish to commemorate Brittany Murphy’s achievements with my personal top 10 list of movies of Brittany Murphy.
1) 8 Mile (2002): Though mainly remembered as a movie that marked rapper Eminem’s major entry into films, this movie is undoubtedly one of the best achievements of Brittany Murphy. She plays Alex, an aspiring model that befriends Eminem and has a highly emotional and flirty relationship with him. Her feisty role and emotive performances will surely rank up there with all the big name female actors at the time.
2) Girl Interrupted (1999): My second best movie for Brittany is the powerful drama Girl Interrupted, which based on memoirs of a true story, depicts the story of a girl locked up in a mental institution for girls. Her role as Daisy, another inmate of this institution was very deep, profound and physical, though she was overshadowed by equally powerful performances from leads Winona Ryder and Angelina Jolie, both co-inmates. Nevertheless, Brittany made a mark of her own in this movie and he contribution noted via a nomination for a Young Artist Award (2000) in the category - Best Performance in a Feature Film - Leading Young Actress.
3) Clueless (1995): It is widely acknowledged that Brittany Murphy’s big break on cinema came from the movie Clueless, a satirical comedy that showcased her talent even at the young age of 18. She played the role of Tai, in this contemporary remake of Jane Austen’s “Emma”. Murphy excelled in this teenage role mixing sweetness with stupidity, simplicity with sexy and carried the role with ease. My definite number 3.
4) Just Married (2003): Who doesn’t remember this honeymoon from hell story! A hilarious comedy mixing slapstick comedy with witty dialogue, the movie paired Brittany Murphy (Sarah) with Ashton Kutcher (Tom). While one could argue that the movie writers did drag on the movie a little too much and made the story rather predictable, one saw flashes of brilliance from Brittany who carried the role effortlessly.
5) Don’t say a word (2005): Another major role played brilliantly by Brittany Murphy as Elisabeth Burrows that also starred big lead actors such as Michael Douglas and Sean Bean. This predictable thriller, would otherwise have been quite ordinary if it had not been for the acting of Brittany alone, the efforts of which brought her another nomination for the Golden Satellite Award, in the category - Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role, Drama.
6) Sin City (2005)
7) Love and Other Disasters (2006)
8) Uptown Girls (2003)
9) Drop Dead Gorgeous (1999)
10) The Ramen Girl (2008)