- Entertainment and Media»
- Movies & Movie Reviews
Trivia Quiz: Ireland and the Irish in Movies
It is March, St. Patrick's Day is nearly here, and so for my newest trivia quiz I have selected the topic of movies that focus on Ireland and/or the Irish.
If you would like to play along, the rules are simple: take out paper and pen or pencil. Number your paper 1-16. Scroll down to the Questions section and read Question # 1. From the four possible answers provided, write down the one you think is the correct answer. Proceed through the rest of the Questions in the same manner. When you are through the Questions, proceed to the Answers section. Here you will find the correct answer for each question. SCORING: Each correctly answered Question 1-15 is worth ten points each, while #16 - the Bonus Question- is worth 50 points, making for a potential perfect 200 points altogether.
Good luck and have fun!
1. The family fantasy film, Darby O’Gill And The Little People (1960) starred what former body builder?
a. Charles Atlas
b. Sean Connery
c. Larry Palmer
d. Dick Van Dyke
2. The murder drama, Angel (1982), is also known by another title, which happens to be this famous Irish song-
a. “Whiskey In The Jar”
b. “Molly Malone”
c. “Danny Boy”
d. “The Wheels on the Bus Go Round and Round”
3. In the Oscar-winning My Left Foot (1992), Daniel Day-Lewis portrayed Christy Brown, an artist and writer crippled by what?
a. Lyme disease
b. Cerebral Palsy
d. Chronic Optimism
4. In the comedy/musical, Little Nellie Kelly (1940), Judy Garland gave her first and only on-screen performance as a woman that does what?
a. enters an interracial marriage
b. falls in love with another woman
c. makes her living as a prostitute
5. In the Hallmark presentation movie, The Magical Legend of the Leprechauns (1999), Randy Quaid portrays an American businessman that comes to Ireland and falls in love with what?
a. a banshee
b. a human woman
c. a pucka
d. a bloodthirsty Warwick Davis looking for his pot of gold
6. In Far And Away (1992), Tom Cruise portrays a young man that leaves Ireland and comes to America in order to fulfill what dream?
a. to own his own land
b. to become a professional boxer
c. to start his own newspaper
d. to become a famous movie heart-throb scorned by Hollywood after he joins a quasi-religious cult founded by a nutzy science-fiction writer
7. In Evelyn (2002), Pierce Brosnan portrays a father whose children are snatched away from him by what?
a. an indifferent family court system
d. a ruthless talent scout from the Disney Channel
8. In the drama, Angela’s Ashes (1999), what is Angela’s husband addicted to?
d. busting bubble wrap
9. In The Wind That Shakes The Barley (2006), what pits brothers Damien and Teddy against one another?
a. impending civil war
b. a land dispute
c. love for the same woman
d. Teddy’s suspicious late night call to Jake at State Farm
10. The Magdalene Sisters follows the story of three young women that endured cruel treatment carried out by whom?
a. their alcoholic mothers
b. sadistic Catholic nuns
c. their austere Anglican fathers
d. their bundle-loving cable provider
11. In P.S. I Love You, Holly finds adventure in Ireland, guided by what?
a. a series of letters composed by her dead husband
b. the apparition of her dead aunt
c. an unpublished series of plays written by her grandfather
d. a cursed video recording narrated by Morgan Freeman
12. In the short film, Return To Glennascaul (1951), film maker Orson Welles related the tale of a real-life (and rather famous) young man who experienced strange events at an Irish manor. What was the identity of this young man?
a. Prince George V of England
b. author Lewis Carroll
c. future U.S. President, Millard Filmore
d. film maker Orson Welles
13. The movie, Ondine (2009), stars Colin Farrell as a fisherman that finds a woman caught in his fishing net. What does this woman claim to be?
a. a selkie
b. the victim of a kidnapping
c. a Russian princess
d. a Summer’s Eve representative
14. In Leap Year (2010), Anna Brady travels to Dublin in order to do what?
a. locate her test tube twin
b. care for her aging father
c. propose marriage to her boyfriend
d. to exact revenge on the man that killed her sisters, Marcia, Jan and Cindy
15. Gangs of New York (2002), directed by Martin Scorsese, is about what?
a. New York’s gang violence and political corruption in the late 1800’s
b. New York’s biased legal system of the late 1800’s
c. A physician that treated poor Irish immigrants in New York during the 1800’s
d. How the Jets and the Sharks danced their way out of Sing Sing prison and onto Broadway
16. – *BONUS QUESTION*
In the movie Shrooms (2007), three couples go to Ireland to collect and experience the effects of hallucinogenic mushrooms. After eating the mushrooms, what terrifying thing happens to them?
a. they are stalked by a serial killer
b. they meet a family of cannibals
c. they are preyed on by a group of trophy game hunters
d. they are kidnapped and prepared as sacrifice to the ghost of Jerry Garcia
Answers found below the photo!
1. b. Sean Connery
2. c. “Danny Boy”
3. b. Cerebral Palsy
4. d. dies
5. b. a human woman
6. a. to own his own land
7. a. an indifferent family court system
8. b. alcohol
9. a. impending civil war
10. b. sadistic Catholic nuns
11. a. a series of letters composed by her dead husband
12. d. film maker Orson Welles
13. a. a selkie
14. c. propose marriage to her boyfriend
15. a. New York’s gang violence and political corruption in the late 1800’s
16. *BONUS QUESTION* a. they are stalked by a serial killer
This Hubpages Trivia Quiz ©March 10, 2014 by Beth Perry