Why Donald Trump Has A Star on The Hollywood Walk of Fame
Everyone knows that Donald J Trump is the 45th President of the United States of America. But what many people don’t know is that Donald Trump has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, an honor he was awarded with in 2007.
But why really does Donald Trump have a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame? We all know that the prestigious honor is normally given to entertainers such as musicians, actors, directors, etc that have made remarkable achievements in their careers. But why Trump? What the heck did Trump do in the entertainment industry to deserve a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame?
While Trump’s star on the Walk of Fame might seem undeserved, when you look at it from another angle, the man has indeed contributed quite significantly to the entertainment industry.
Trump’s Contribution to the Entertainment Industry
Regardless of whether you hate him or not, you can’t take away the fact that prior to venturing into politics and eventually becoming president of the United States, Trump contributed a lot to the entertainment industry. Not only did Trump own the famous Miss Universe and Miss USA beauty pageants for almost two decades, but he also hosted and produced the renowned U.S. reality television series The Apprentice from 2004 all the way to 2015. The show was so successful that Trump made several millions of dollars for himself through the show. In 2015, it was revealed by his campaign manager that NBC paid Trump over 200 million dollars for his appearance on The Apprentice for 14 seasons. Away from the millions he received hosting The Apprentice, Trump also received his star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in 2007 through his appearance on the show. So to answer the question of what really gave Trump his star on the Walk, the simple answer is his remarkable contribution to television through his work on The Apprentice, at least according to the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce, which is the body responsible for administering stars on the Walk of Fame.
It is worth noting that Trump’s work on The Apprentice also saw him receive two Emmy Award nominations, none of which he won.
On February 27, 2015, Trump announced that he would be unable to sign on for a 15th season of The Apprentice because of his campaign to become President of the United States.
Facts about Donald Trump’s Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame
- Contrary to popular belief Donald Trump is not the first President of the United States to receive a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. The first U.S. President to be given this honor was President Ronald Reagan. Trump is therefore one of only two U.S. Presidents to be honored with a star on the Walk.
- Trump's Walk of Fame star is located along Hollywood Boulevard precisely between Highland Avenue and Orange Drive, just across the street from the renowned movie palace El Capitan Theatre.
- In January 2016, Trump's star was defaced with a swastika symbol.
- On October 26, 2016, a vandal named James Lambert Otis vandalized Trump’s star on the Walk of Fame with pickaxe and a sledgehammer. According to Otis, he desecrated Trump’s star in the hope of removing the star and auctioning it off to raise money to benefit the women who accused Trump of sexually assaulting them.
- Many are opposed to Trump’s star on the Walk. They feel that Trump doesn’t deserve to have his name enshrined on Hollywood’s most renowned strip, which is why many petitioned the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce not to restore Trump’s star after it was vandalized in October 2016.
- In July 2016, a Los Angeles based street artist named Plastic Jesus made headline news across the United States after erecting a small wall around Trump’s star on the Walk. The wall (art work), which was shortly removed by authorities, measured 15 centimeters high and came with a razor wire around it plus numerous miniature U.S. flags. As if that wasn’t enough, the artist went on to plaster the art work with the inscription "Keep Out" written in English and Spanish. According to the street artist, he was motivated to create the wall (art work) after Trump announced his highly controversial plan to build a “great, great wall” along the US-Mexico border to prevent illegal immigrants from making their way from Mexico into the United States.
- Contrary to reports that Trump's star on the Walk started receiving special protection by the LAPD on a 24-hour basis after it was vandalized, this isn't true. While police officers regularly patrol Hollywood Boulevard, where these stars are located, the LAPD hasn't provided any special protection for President Trump's star and does not intend to do so. This means that the star is still prone to being vandalized by any of the numerous people who feel Trump doesn’t deserve that prestigious honor.